altinok

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by noodle, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noodle

noodle Member

im not a big fan of intricate carvings add to that the meers i have are african and i quite like them. so ive not really seen the attraction of getting a pipe from turkey.

until now that is, its a fair chunk of money so im probably going to wait a couple of months (christmas is coming which tends to be a bit expensive) before i even think about buying this
    http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=IK124

now i cant find anything bad about these pipes so im pretty sure im in good when i do have the money.
    anything i should know or be aware of when it comes to buying trouble posting special care etc, is the pipe a piece to be looked at or smoked (just noticed its light enough to smoke unlike a couple ive seen) etc

2. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

No problems. I paid for the fast shipping (instant gratification). It took something like 24-48 hours to get to the states from Turkey.

No special care...though some people do give their meers additional care (i.e. wax dipping).

I definitely prefer the briar type tenon on my Altinok to my SMS.

To me....it's a pipe to be smoked. Sure...it's really impressive when you take it out of the box at first (it would be nice if I had the restraint to just keep a meerschaum pipe brand new as a display piece), but as it takes on color....it becomes (to me) more of a utilitarian piece.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Meerschaum pipes are to be smoked, and Turkish meer will rock your world. Buy it and smoke it in good health - you'll love it! :th1:

4. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

One caveat...the globe may not quite match the one we live on. <grin> The carvers come pretty close for the most part, but only close....
    Still, this is a fine pipe....I think you'll really enjoy your new meerschaum.

MikeInMaine likes this.
  5. jdto

jdto Active Member

I have no complaints about my two Altinoks. They are both well-made and smoke really nicely. I was less than impressed with the finishing on the button of the Lee Van Cleef model I bought, but 20 minutes with some needle files and 10 with some micromesh had it better than new and shaped to my liking.

Spillproof likes this.
  6. noodle

noodle Member

aww i was hoping for a full on relief map:xd:

7. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

8. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

It's a great smoking pipe, would have been better if the carver had taken a geography class or two.

9. Pipe Puffer

Pipe Puffer Member

No problems with my Altinok pipes. I have two of them. Nice draw briar like tenons. Great doing business with them. A joy to smoke!

Best

Bob

10. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

I'd been eyeing up an altinok, its jus the price tag that I'm umming and aaahing about :P

AussieTX likes this.
  11. Pipe Puffer

Pipe Puffer Member

Lukasaurus

I know what you mean. I won't be buying anymore for awhile, but def worth the price!

Best

Bob

AussieTX and jdto like this.
  12. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

I just recently picked up an Altinok Churchwarden on the bay. It smokes like a champ!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.