any reason to not smoke a cob???

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by beano, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beano

beano Member

This probably the wrong sub-forum to ask but:

I have been smoking for just over a year. I have 3 cobs, 2 legends and a pony. My first year I smoked only VAs. Recently got into Vaburs a little. VERY recently I decided I want to sample some English blends and latakia. I have dedicated one of my legends for experimenting on these blends as my B&M told me a cob will ghost an English pretty easy.

I love my cobs and have no complaint. One thing I like is that I don't have to treat them like they cost $100. And since I mostly smoke VAs I think they are enjoyed to their fullest in a cob no?

So my question is, am I missing anything by not owning a briar pipe? Should I grab a Dr G or spend that $25 dollars on some FFOTT or EMP to sample?

Ephraim likes this.
  2. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

A difficult (impossible) question, really. Cobs are great smokers and if you like smoking cobs they´ll do just fine. I like (and smoke) cobs a lot but there´s a certain feel to a good briar that, IMHO, adds something untangible to the experience. Technically a cob smokes just as well. There are many pipe smokers who smoke cobs exclusively. Some of them have never never even tried briars, other have dithched their bbriars in favour of cobs. Simply put it´s a very subjective and, thus, individual thing and the only one who can tell if you are missing anything by not trying briars is you. So, if you wanna know you have to try. Noone else can give you a correct or even meaningful answer.

Adam Matherly, Ephraim, DODiF and 7 others like this.
  3. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. If you feel you are missing something, experiment. You never know what you will like until you try it.

4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

As Hofnar said...this falls into the realm of "different strokes for different folks." My $.02...there are some blends that are best enjoyed in a cob...and there are some that are best enjoyed in a briar.

A Dr. Grabow pipe would be a good way to go, as they're good smokers and don't break the bank. Check out a Dr. Grabow Freehand...I really like mine.

I've got one similar to 'L'.
    http://wvsmokeshop.com/freehand.aspx

5. AdamInWA

AdamInWA Member

Gluten allergy?

esteban, KleinToit, buistd and 7 others like this.
  6. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

It's all personal preference.
    I have an all of the above approach.
    I own cobs, briars, and meers, and I enjoy them all from tome to time.
    To be honest though the cobs get the most action, and if all I had were cobs, I could get along just fine.

7. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I thought I would love briars... so I bought a boat load of them. Turns out, cobs and meers are my preference. You should smoke what you like, if you are satisfied--you are not doing anything wrong! Many briars do not smoke as well as a cob. About the only advantage would be a wider bowl for subtle flavors in english blends, a pot shape, if you will. Does MM make a cob like that? 1¨ wide or more? And yeah.... you are going to get ghosts from latakia and some english blends. I would dedicate one pipe to lat blends, and another to english. At three bucks a cob, thats easy to swallow! My vote says go get some EMP. That stuff is great!

Oh, and I don´t baby my cobs either. Good to see someone else who gives them heck, too! I have lost them in a field only to find them, knock the dirt out, and put it back in service. I have a cob I smoke when butchering, but I won´t describe that one so I can keep this post as PC as my non PC life permits. :)

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Yes. The feel of a briar in your hand and the weight of the briar expenditure from your wallet. Me? I love my briar pipes but a well-mudded Missouri Meeschaum General or Country Gent with a tad of cake in the chamber is a practically perfect smoking implement. I've been smoking this General for a few years now and would hate to give it up; I smoke it all the time while a couple of Becker and Dunhill pipes go untouched. You want briars? I'll sell you my Dunhills. ;)

[​IMG]

phatdaddynxn, Morse, gd9704 and 5 others like this.
  9. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Swimming is a good reason not to smoke a cob. Never smoke a cob while you are swimming other than that you should be ok :)

10. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Challenge accepted!!!

11. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Cobs are great smokers and as some have said some blends taste better in a cob. For me, Latakia and perique blends or blends containing either, are better smoked in a briar. Virginia's, burleys, cavendish or a combination of these three really excel in a cob.

If you are waffling on dishing out the money for a briar, I won't go into how great a block meerschaum smokes.

ChristTiger, just5042 and beano like this.
  12. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I have found myself more and more enamored with my cobs. It's pretty much my go to pipe when heading out. No fuss, no mess and if I lose it or it breaks, I take my Forever Stem off and put it on another.
    I also find myself favoring certain briars. So find what you like and like what you smoke.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

One reason not to smoke a cob would be if you're an elitist swine.

P.S Oink!

Malus Rex, jpberg, DGErwin11 and 9 others like this.
  14. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Can't really add anything to what has been said.

Even during my brief tobacco "snob phase" I would smoke the $$ blends in cobs and a couple clays I owned at the time.
    The local tobacconist I frequented at the time was amused, but knew how well cobs smoked so the chiding he gave me was in good fun.

Briars have personality, great appearance, craftsmanship, etc. Many are works of art that I'm sure smoke as good as anything.
    Meerschaums are awesome, but my last one broke. And by broke I mean it tumbled down the stairs and shattered on the stone floor below. I'm sure they are also as good as any other pipe.

Cobs are my pipes of choice. Simple and extremely functional...they deliver a great smoke to me every time I light up.
    But there's one thing that I think really makes them stand out: PRICE. You can easily modify a $5 MM Cob into a piece of art. Sand them, stain them, paint them, replace stem and shank, etc.
    I recently sanded the laquer off of my cobs. They look so clean and inviting. And now are just waiting to be carved a bit and a couple may end up stained.

Yeah I'm happy to be devoted to my Corncob Pipes and don't see myself adding to my briars (I have 3ish) anytime soon. However I'll likely be expanding my cob collection dramatically.
    Cobs are good pipes, is what I'm trying to get at :puffy:

ChristTiger and beano like this.
  15. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

I just enjoyed some nightcap in my Washington cob. Sipped on some Dalmore. Watched the snow fly. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I love briars and meers , but there is just something awesome about a cob!

Ephraim likes this.
  16. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Cobs are my go to pipes. Now I own one meer, one briar, and a handful of cobs. I prefer my cobs and meer over any briar I have smoked.

17. MrEnglish

MrEnglish Member

I've always owned a cob or two but have smoked mostly briars. The wife got me a nosewarmer cob from Walker Briar Works with a Forever Stem and I have been smoking it quite a bit. Like it so much I ordered two 5th Ave Diplomats with the Forever Stems. For me, the stems made all the difference in the smoking qualities.

zacROK likes this.
  18. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Pipe smoking is about what you enjoy rather than what you think you might be missing out on. It sounds like you're getting a lot of pleasure from cobs so there's every reason to stick with them. If you fancy a change, as I often do, feel free to try something new, picking up a cheap briar as you suggest for example. Never feel the need to change what works for you, though, just because it's what other folk are doing.

As for a comparison between the two, the only differences is that I have found in my experience between cobs and briars is that cobs don't have the have the break in period that briars require - usually four or five smokes before I can I properly get to grips with a new tobacco - and that cobs, for me, tend to smoke a little rougher than briar. I'm sure many folks experiences of both will differ with mine so feel free to take this with the bucket of salt it deserves.

Eric Pierson and Ephraim like this.
  19. rider81

rider81 Member

I love cobs. They are very light very easy just to pack light smoke n clean. For me a cob is my quick light smoke or if im working in the garage or outside type pipe. Its just very lite and if you w De re to drop it n damage it some how it wouldt realy matter. My cob smoke so well! Its just a little 7 dollar meerschaum. How ever, as far as performance goes. My cob burn way hotter than any of my brairs. Its not an intense heat but its definitely a lot hotter smoke than anything else I have.

20. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

They make pipes out of corn? What will they think of next?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.