Anyone see the "new" pipesandcigars yet?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by WWhermit, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Smoking pipes and wvsmokeshop ... the only two sites I shop at . P&C has always been a mess and I've never ordered through them

2. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I'm just about done with P&C. Along with the update, they said that a lot of blends were going to be back in stock. Maybe some missing blends are now in stock, but the few I was looking for still aren't. (I've been waiting on a backordered item for 2 months, everyone else has it in stock) The site design is just like CI which isn't a good thing and, as others have mentioned, the gouging of Estorica blends just isn't right, especially from a reputable retailor.

3. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

Just as I made this first post, I placed an order. It was going to be my last one, and I wouldn't have done it at all, but they were the only ones carrying the blend I wanted. Everything was "available" as I was gathering up my order. I placed it, and in the confirmation email, it showed 2 of the 5 items I wanted (one of them being the exclusive blend) as being backordered.

If my mind wasn't made up before, it sure is now.

dBear likes this.
  4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Was there anything wrong with the old site?...

5. dBear

dBear Active Member

Thank you!

6. Tongue Bite

Tongue Bite Member

Ah ha! So THAT'S IT!

I noticed while checking the new site that their excessive "Out Of Stock" notifications they usually display on 6 out of 10 items seemed strangely absent. So many things were suddenly all "In Stock". (They haven't had Paragon Wax for what seems a year now. Maybe they should buy some from 4noggins?)

For a moment I thought they had completely restocked, and redone inventory to coincide with the launch of the new layout. Guess I was wrong.

7. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Saw this thread and just perused the updated P&C site. Managed to navi OK, lists of makers still evident. Couldn't locate McClelland 221B blends even with search though..... I noticed that they don't ship to Washington state? Did Obama sell it to Canada for hard currency??:ngty:

8. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

This, exactly this! And while the old P&C site wasn't great, I found it superior to CI. I really don't like navigating CI. This is not, IMHO, an improvement. Streamlining for them, yes, but not an improvement (and, perhaps, it would have been harder to redo CI to look like P&C) :D

dBear likes this.
  9. Tony Malerich

My understanding is that it's actually state law in Washington that makes it illegal to ship tobacco directly to consumers. A bit of Googleing pulls up plenty of hits. If there are other e-tailers doing it...or forum members in trades and such...that's technically breaking the law.

10. Tony Malerich

11. ruffinogold

Other than it sucking ? :beck:

When I first went there and saw the way they sold bulk ... what the hell was that about ? 1-3 / 4-7 / ... that type of thing ... really stupid . Their pictures were just ok . Links to things that were never in stock . The long list of pipe tobacco companies to choose from is fine but it was just a mess looking ... It's just my opinion , but I never ordered from them because my impression of their site is my impression of their company and or organization . It always struck me as a mess and there has never been anything abut their site to attract me to want to buy from them . I guess if I enjoyed H&H blends that I'd wouldnt have had a choice but to order from them .. but I see that H&H is available at smoking pipes and thats a good thing for Russ , I'd imagine . Russ is a good dude and I'd order his stuff from SP without worry of issues . Wv is a simple site and easy to navigate and simple to order on and they carry " regular " stuff that I love . SP is a topnotch site and whomever is behind it does a fantastic job ... I sure as heck wish theyd carry Kaywoodie and some more reasonable priced pipes .

critter likes this.
  12. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Wow! That's sad......

13. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Sure....some of the little stuff was annoying (i.e. You don't get the pipe in the picture), but you could at least navigate the website and find stuff.

14. ruffinogold

Yeah , thats true .. but it's messy , imo . I know a lot of people order there and I dont wish P&C ill . I just dont bother with them myself is all

15. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

I noticed they are offering cheap Chinese cobs :eek:
    Hopefully newcomers to the hobby don't mistake them for MM cobs...

Edit: I should mention I've had nothing but good experiences with ordering from P&C and will continue to do so. I just wish they'd drop the Chinese cobs...

dBear likes this.
  16. Tongue Bite

Tongue Bite Member

I've placed my last order with P&C. After seeing the other sites some of you guys are into, I'm over it.

My most recent debacle.....eh....order, I put it in early last Friday morning, 1/3. They state "All orders received by 2pm EST on In-Stock items will ship out on the same day M-F."

Absolute lie. As of right now 3:22pm on 1/7: IT HAS YET TO SHIP. FIVE DAYS???? 3 of them "Business days". WTF?

In addition, to really put some spice on it, I enlarged my order to $140 for free USPS Priority Mail shipping (which is next day service from their warehouse in Bethlehem, PA to me in South Jersey) and which I always pay for anyway. So I open my email, and I JUST got the UPS GROUND tracking #, and that much only came after emailing a supervisor TWICE. Their "Order Status" functionality on the site has been down for over a month, all through the Xmas season. Great I.T. Dept/Contractor they must have.

I bought some extra items to get the "Free" Priority Mail shipping, figuring I would have it early Saturday morning at work. NOPE. It's become the norm with them. Slow fulfillment, massive inventory problems. Inattention to detail.

Now, crappy UPS Ground will take 2-4 days, to move 76 miles, PLUS they don't deliver Saturday. I work in a Post Office, I will pay extra for Priority Mail, BUT I want it ACTUALLY shipped Priority Mail. I don't want to wait for UPS. (Plus it looks bad when the UPS driver delivers something to a postal employee in front of the public. My boss isn't a big fan of that.) Ugh.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic with a rant, but the new site layout is a downgrade too. P&C just outgrew it's foundation too damn fast?

dBear likes this.
  17. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I just noticed that myself. They are calling them "generic cobs." :xd: Sorry to see that in their line. I'm sure that is the "cob" that is going to be included in the Tobacco of the Month kits.

dBear likes this.
  18. Dobacco

Dobacco Member

At least you got a reply. I've Hearn nothing back.

19. Dobacco

Dobacco Member

I received on of their cob on special order, so many tins and get one free and the cob is a throw away IMO.

dBear likes this.
  20. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

The only thing I have ordered from from Russ has been Fusilier's Ration which I think is a spectacular blend. It has been in stock so rarely that I have not received my order. I even e-mailed them to notify when it is in stock. No reply as yet, I may have to give up on this blend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.