1. Sales and advertising are not allowed in this section. This forum is for discussing pipe making only.

If a pipe or item is for sale, or potentially for sale, do not post it in this forum section.

apple wood pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipe Making Forums' started by tylerupchurch, Mar 31, 2011.

1. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

I was wondering if i could use apple wood to make a pipe with? iv been searching around google and cant find much about it.
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

You can do, yeah. Most fruit woods are reasonably stable and basically non toxic to work with.
  3. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

What woods are toxic to work with? :dunno:
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Just watch you don't char the rim...the smell will probably remind you of bacon.

Mmm...applewood smoked bacon.
  5. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

sweet I can get some apple wood fairly easy
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

What woods are toxic to work with... well... in a sense, all of 'em. Dust isn't good for you, according to, well, everyone.

Here's a partial list though, of allergenic or sensitizing woods. Generally speaking, oily woods and a lot of African woods are really nasty - they contain what amounts to insect-repelling resins.

Woods list

The basic flaw in woods other than briar is that they aren't as strong or stable, and making a decent stem joint is nearly impossible. Even if you manage it, over time the thing creeps, cracks, splits or burns out. So have fun with your apple, Tyler, but don't expect to make something that is gonna last years and years.
  7. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

sas what would i do with out ya? then can you hook me up with who you get your briar from?
  8. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Apple makes the worlds best mallet. I think its interlocking grain (like elm) would be plenty strong enough for a pipe. I'm jealous of your access to apple wood.
  9. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

i have a few pear trees in my yard as well i here pear wood makes an alright pipe.
  10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

I would imagine just about all the fruitwoods have been used successfully for making pipes all over the world. Pear is used in the baltic regions a lot - most of those intricately carved pipes on ebay are pear.
  11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Agreed...I have had quite a few cherrywood pipes over the years (I love the way they smoke) and just about every one has split or cracked internally, just above - where the shank enters the bowl. Having said that, one 'Ropp' is about thirty years old, and the small split gets carboned over, and has not spread....it's a lovely smoker, and one of my favourite pipes.....don't know about other fruit woods though!

OT][​IMG]
  12. sorringowl

sorringowl He ain't no Spring Chicken!

Just to be sure (if you're harvesting the wood yourself) to give it enough seasoning time (drying time) before you use it. Otherwise, it will be too wet and will split. A good rule of thumb is 1 year for 1 inch of thickness but Fruit wood boards tend to not be as wide as other woods so, I would say 6-8 months would be more like it.