1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Archaeological Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Labman, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Labman

Labman Member

So, a couple years ago a few archaeologist came to my neck of the woods to excavate an old Inuit (i.e. Eskimo) camp site. They spent the summer digging and then before they left, they had a show and tell of what they found. Amongst the artifacts were a couple that I found very interesting and I thought I would share a couple of pics.

This is a clay pipe bowl that was most likely traded to the Inuit by Hudson's Bay Company traders. I was blown away when I saw the Masonic imagery of the compass and square!
    [​IMG]

This next one (that my Dad is so proudly showing off :D ), is what the archaeologists claimed was an Inuit hand-carved pipe. I'm not so sure, as I can't for the life of me figure out what it was made of and where in the material may have come from. Any ideas? At any rate the colour was absolutely stunning!
    [​IMG]

Do any of you guys have pics of old pipes from archaeological digs? If so, I would love to see them!

KevinV, Mister Moo, SmokeyJoe and 3 others like this.
  2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

How heavy was the one on the bottom (i.e. is it some kind of rock)?

3. Labman

Labman Member

It wasn't very heavy at all if I remember correctly. It almost felt like glass...but it definitely wasn't glass. We have soapstone and labradorite further north, but I have never seen anything like that.

4. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

It almost looks like some kind of polished bone or tusk maybe horn.:D

5. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Could it possibly be amber?

6. Labman

Labman Member

I wondered the same thing, but I have never heard of amber being found anywhere near here. Unless of course, they traded for it from other native groups. But, isn't amber more translucent than that? I have never seen amber up close, so I couldn't say for certain.

7. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Amber was MY take on it, too. Here's a couple of photos of an amber stem from my GrandDad's Meer (I have a replacement stem for the pipe, but keep the amber tucked away).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lithua pipe, Labman and dwaugh like this.
  8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

The bottom pipe almost looks like its coloring like a meer. The bowl is darker then the stem.

9. Labman

Labman Member

Hmmm, looking at dhintonca's pics, maybe it actually is amber. If so that's pretty rad!

Actually, that's how I remembered I had these pics. I was looking at pictures of coloured Meers only Google image search and I thought about that beautiful little pipe.

10. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Thanks for showing.

11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I reckon this counts. This is a pipe belonging to Lieutenant William Murdoch, First Officer aboard the Titanic. It was salvaged from the wreck...

[​IMG]

12. Labman

Labman Member

Wow! That is very cool. But, it must have also been kind of sad to find, knowing the end that he and all the others met on that tragic night.

13. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

that looks suprisingly like this pipe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did you notice the humidome in your picture is threaded??
    I think you have a pipe there from the 1930's ish.

dwaugh, Coda and Labman like this.
  14. Labman

Labman Member

Holy crap! That's it...it has to be. What's the name of that pipe?

15. 1858remington

Name is unknown as they are unmarked:msty:
    I have seen it sold on Ebay As "Butterscotch".
    Its made of Bakalite.
    I have one in my collection, got it for $10.

Labman likes this.
  16. Labman

Labman Member

Yup, that has to be it! Thanks man...I can't wait to tell my old man what it is. We had been perplexed by the archaeologists assessment that it was a hand carved Inuit pipe. LOL.

MikeInMaine and dwaugh like this.
  17. krusty

krusty Active Member

Now this had me chuckling!

Coda and Labman like this.
  18. 1858remington

yep, dat thar beez genuine hand carved and fossilized Bake-e-light. Hearz dem injuns done mined da stuff justin soz day canna have a pipe tooz smoke. They was smart they were, seein hows they learnt hows to putin da threads fo the bowl.

Labman likes this.
  19. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Hi Labman your post spurred me to join PSF, for over 60 years I've been collecting all sorts of stuff that's taken my eye from fossils to flints to clay pipe heads, not really studied them mainly just file them in an old biscuit tin. There's canals and railways locally so allot of the 17 and 1800's pipe heads have an Irish theme from the Navies (mainly made in Manchester though) but about 20 years ago they were building an industrial estate down by the river at Crosshills, which is the village I come from, about 12 miles from where we live now and they’d just scraped the top soil off the fields so I went down with my metal detector and straight away found a pipe head then another and another. I gave up to the detector and gathered a pocket full of pipe heads – the next weekend when I went back the foundations were poured and the green field site lost forever Crosshills used to be a small village with green fields and woods between it and the next villages Sutton, Glusburn,Eastburn,Steeton Farnhill,Kildwick they all had their own Pubs and cricket teams with their friendly rivalry now it’s just one soulless urban sprawl and most of the pubs have gone !
    If you have Google Earth the site is at :- +53* 54’ 19.85” -1* 58’ 46.72"
    I don’t know what was going on in the early 1600’s for there to be so many pipe heads (Fair, Market, Horse race, it’s very near an old crossing over the river only 400 years and no one knows) but most of the heads were small Tobacco being a scarce and taxed ! (so nothing’s new) it was seen as a luxury item hence the very small bowls at the time. I think the next “idea” came while pruning the Bamboo in the front garden. that being hollow it would make pipe stems to repair the heads, so using 1/8” brass tube as a tennon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They smoke a treat and it's great to give a use back to a piece of history

12GA, SmokeyJoe, krusty and 3 others like this.
  20. Labman

Labman Member

That is awesome! I especially like the harp and crown one. Very cool!

Out of curiosity, do you sell them? Or, do you keep them for your collection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.