1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Archaeological Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Labman, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi Labman, don't sell them just thought they'd be better smoked than sat in a tin
    Mister Moo, SmokeyJoe and Labman like this.
  2. Labman

Labman Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Definitely! Thanks for sharing man.
  3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Feb 3, 2012
    the clay pipe was very inexpensive back in the day, and could be bought by the gross for pennies.
    They were in essence considered a disposable item and not meant to be kept long.
    I guess you could say they were compairable to todays cigarettes.

I have 6 clay pipes, and I must say, they all smoke wonderfully.:th1:
    They are similar to a Meerschaum in their function, since the clay absorbs the moisture like meerschaum.
    Their only real downsides are that the bowls get red hot, (dont use your finger for a tamper, learned that the hard way:doh:), and they are fragile.
    Labman likes this.
  4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Why would they be concentrated in one small area like that? Perhaps there was a county border or ferry crossing, and a tax on any pipes or tobacco brought across? Instead of paying the tax the traveler may have just finished his smoke andthen tossed his pipe in the river. "Sod off mate, and a pox on yer tax collector!"
    Or a battle in the area, and these were collected from the dead? Boots over here, belts over there, and pipes over here...
    dwaugh likes this.
  5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Just found this post...oddly whilst sitting here smoking one of my Dwaugh clays.
    You have a beautiful collection there...one to be proud of. Sad that so many more are forever buried under tons of concrete! I know that there are a lot of folks here (me for one) who are a bit envious of those. To know that you are putting them back in service is heart-warming....thank you. Smoke them in good health!
    Raffxr7 and Labman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.