1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Grabow stems inter-changeable

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Pecci, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Can I purchase a Grand Duke, and replace the stem with a "saddle-bit" from another Grabow?

Thank you, guys.

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Short but unhelpful answer is that some of the stems are interchangeable, some of them aren't. What's the model and year (best guess?) of the pipe that will be donating its bit?

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Good question!

I have no Grabows, but I want one with the smallest bowl, that has a saddle bit. Is there one I can get that serves both of my requests?

Can you help?

4. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

Duct tape that sheet up.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

As long as the shank and stem match up I don't see why you could not be able too.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Dr. Grabow Dukes are smallish bowled and come with a saddle bit.

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

The standard Duke is pretty small, but I think the Lark might be even smaller. I believe you can get a Lark with a saddle bit or a tapered bit. My advice is to go here:
    http://www.drgrabow.net/drgrabowpipefilters.aspx
    and register. They can be kinda slow processing your registration, maybe a week or two. You'll get a direct order product and price list. Then I'd send them an order specifying that you want a Lark but it has to be with a saddle bit. I bet they'll take care of you.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

I have never seen a Lark with a saddle bit stem...

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think this is one example:
    http://pipesandcigars.com/larkstraights.html
    At any rate I bet Grabow would put a saddle on one for you if you want one. If they won't you could just order a Duke- as Marc said they're small and definitely are offered with a saddle bit.

10. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Ok, thanks fellas.

I emailed Grabow, and they recommended me the Riviera - smooth. It is a little larger than some of the Duke's and Larks. I can't believe how much difference there is even between the same models. I'm not sure how they can even tell them apart.

I'll call them tomorrow, to see what they can do for me. I just want a small bowl for the shirt pocket. I also enjoy the 1st. 30-40 minutes of the bowl the most. Nearly all my other pipes are large. When I started, I didn't realize how long a bowl last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.