1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Are these pipes OK for destructive testing?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwaugh, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

In odd lot of ebay stuff I got what are mostly pipes in very bad shape (even a Dunhill, but with a badly cracked bowl....) There were a couple of pipes that I was interested in cutting open to see if I can find layers in cake (there could be frosting in between some of the layers :)). Before slicing and dicing, I thought I should have some more experience pipe people look at them and make sure I was not recking some real gem. They have no stems, and are in bad shape (cracked shanks etc.) and do not seem worth fixing. The meerschaum has a shattered shank (and was re-glued bowl side of the band), I was going to make a thin section of this so I can examine it under the microscope..... Let me know if you think these pipes have any real value, which I doubt, but, better be safe than sorry... Thanks, David

No scale on the meerschaum, but the total length of the case is 4 inches (its small)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On the left is a Somerset, middle is a Dr. Grabow Riviera, and to the right a Wally Frank Hallmark.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Hack 'em up, David.

dwaugh likes this.
  3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Think I'd take a deeper look at the Wally Frank. If the bowl has some life left in it then a new stem is easy enough. The meerschaum is a lost cause for sure. The other two pipes are your called. I've done the very thing you're planning to do. It's an interesting study and well worth the effort! Include the shanks in your microscopic examination, don't just focus on the bowl!

Will

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Science!

You might try to clean up the case for that meerschaum, though, maybe oil up the hinges or something. It might come in handy for another pipe.

dwaugh likes this.
  5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Shame about that little meer...are the bands salvageable? You might want to hang on to them. The rest are cannon fodder...have fun!

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Absolutely! I use those little hinges on my model train car doors. :)
    [​IMG]
    Will

Dutchking22 and dwaugh like this.
  7. dwaugh

OK, I will save the bands

OK, will save the Wally Frank (don't really need 3 pipes to cut up). The Wally of those is only one that is salvageable. I will make sure to include the shank too!

Will save the case too!

Thanks for the input!
    -David

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Their sacrifice will be remembered! Well, no, not really. Hopefully you'll learn something or at least have fun demolishing them, though!
    I sure hope you find frosting in one of them :laff:

9. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I've enjoyed your scientific experiments thus far. Looking forward to your future exploits.

10. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Nothing better to do than play with toy trains while you smoke? Call me next time and I will join you!

11. WillH

WillH Active Member

Yulp. I never growed up! Still playing with trains.:D
    [​IMG]
    David's off testing so he won't mind too much if i hijack his thread a little. Besides me thinks he's knows what he's going to do......so trains it is...

will

albot9 likes this.
  12. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Nothing wrong with refusing to grow up. I still watch cartoons at 6 am while my fruit loops spill on the couch.......

albot9 likes this.
  13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Back OT...sorry there fellers! LOL

David...take a good look at the W/F...in the photo, it looks like a pretty dark spot on the bowl. Possible burn-out? Or is that just the finish darkening?

14. dwaugh

Will, You can hijack the thread for model trains! :th1: I actually was clay piping at the time.... I did cut the pipes, minus the Wally Frank.

T-bear- I will check that spot on the Wally and report back! -David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.