1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

aren't they all "bulldogs"?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Don't mean this as any sort of ill fated discussion but I was always under the impression that a rhodesian was actually a "rhodesian bulldog" but with a roundish shank and usually a slimmer taller bowl shape.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think it kinda depends on what you think the "defining" feature is on a pipe, the bowl or the shank, or maybe both. As far as I can tell, "rhodesion" is a bowl shape, think smokestack on a coal-burning locomotive. A bulldog is therefore a diamond shankded rhodesion, and a rhodesion is a round shanked rhodesion. If that makes any sense. I'm still trying to perfect the oval shanked extra-long Canadesion but no one will let them through customs.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

This one's always been a bit of a vexed question and can produce endless debate.

As a working defintion I've always taken them as having the same basic bowl shape but Bulldogs had Diamond stems and Rhodesians had Round stems. I could be wrong though....I have been known to be!

Best meantime

Gerry

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

That's the way I see it too Gerry. Diamond stem it's a Bulldog, round it's a Rhodesian.

5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I'll third that second Jesla. But I've been wrong before...been a while, but it DID happen! :0laugh:

6. Puff The Magic

I totally agree that the round shank with a taller bowl shape is "rhodesian" and squattier bowl with square shank is a "Standard Bulldog" or just plain "Bulldog". BUT
    The question I'm asking or soliciting confirmation/input is that aren't they BOTH considered "Bulldogs" and isn't the "Bulldog Category" comprised of both "Standard Bulldogs" AND "Rhodesian Bulldogs" but for simplicity (or laziness) they are called just plain "Bulldog" OR "Rhodesian" ?

Is this less confusing to you than my OP?

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

"My mind is sair beguiled" or words to that effect! Thinking further.....

Gerry

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

There both pipes, I like the look of both the round and dimond shank...nuff said...case closed :thumbsu:

9. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

IMO.To be a true bulldog the diamond shank shape needs to continue into the bottom of the bowl and not round out. The first thing I do when inspecting a bulldog is turn it upside down and look down the pipe from the bowl end. The point should be right on the bottom and not off a little bit as it often is on hand made pipes. The bulldog is a very hard shape to get perfect by hand. Beware of very thin walls in the facets of the V. :bling:

10. Puff The Magic

Oh, I'm in whole-hearted agreement that it's a pipe.......a pipe by any other name is still a pipe....(errruhh was that a rose? :))

Very interesting, never considered flipping the girl so I can see her bottom to see if she has "the devils point" all the way down there.......hmmmm.

I've had meers that the diamond point went all the way and made the bottom of the bowl sort of a "V"shape.

The reason I've inquired is that meers (even ones that have rounded shanks) are called "bulldogs" by their carvers. I've also found this to be true in boutique/handmade carvers of briar as well. They called them "bulldogs" too.

Not that it really matters but I do find it rather interesting.

Thanks for the responses so far..........keep 'em coming, inquiring minds, you know, "cogito? ergo puff?"

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I prefer to think of them as Australian Shepherds cause, well, I don't like 4 legged bulldogs....hey, I'll call my pipes herman if I want. Probably the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around with pipes is all the multitudes of different shape names, many of which look pretty darn near identical.

12. bubbadreier

bubbadreier New Member

I agree with Gerry on this one! Oh and Hi everyone!

13. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

It's not, if it's there on not, it's is the point in the middle of the bowl and not off to the right or left a bit. If there's no point, it ain't a dog.

IMO you have to have the V or it's not a dog. The thing is the walls can get thin if you have a U shaped bowl in a V shaped pipe

I've seen lots of pipes called lots of things but the beauty and fun of a standard shape for many collectors is "the standard" :bling:

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Couple of good points made earlier - yes in a real Bulldog I think the point should indeed continue to the bottom of the stem.

But this Devils point can indeed lead to a pipe that smokes hotter than the proverbial Bars of Hell if it's not done right. In my youth aI foolishly invested in a "Moth 3/4oz" series Bulldog ( made by Orlik) billed as the "lightest pipe ever." With me it was one of the shortest time kept ever pipes. It got so hot you couldn't hold it. even when filled with normally slow burning cool smoking Condor.

Best as ever

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.