Argosy Black

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mcgoven9, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mcgoven9

mcgoven9 Member

About 3 years ago my father-in-law gave me some old Argosy Black, and I loved it. After that I spent some time trying to find some more. I found out that the company no longer exists.

I had forgot all about it untill I saw Smokers Pride Black Cavandish. It smelled just like the stuff. I bought some and on the first pipe I was in heaven.

I have even blended it with PA and that was really good. I'm going to try it with Borkum Riff.
  2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Argosy Black was made by US Tobacco and I used to work for them and helped develop that tobacco. Altadis makes it now as a knockoff blend. Go to their site AltadisUSA.com and send them an email that you would like to try their version and they will send you a sample and a list of stores carrying it. It tastes just like the original version.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Burlatvaperaro !!!! Mayor

Get out ! Argosy was the first blend I smoked ! It's was great ..... if it had sucked I probably wouldnt be here as a pipe smoker . Dont know what else I'd be doing .. opium probably [ smokes in a pipe .. right? ] Anyway , I'm gonna bag some from Altadis and StrongIrish has ben elevated to Hero status for hooking me up into the pipe ! Awesome
  4. PappyMac

PappyMac Member

Sutfliff has a House of Windsor Match blend named Navigator Blend that is supposed to be a close match to Argosy. I haven't tried it yet but have smoked several tins of some of their other blends that were enjoyable.
    ruffinogold likes this.