1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ascorti and Alpha Big Boy

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ted, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ted

ted Member

Grabow sold all the Aldo Velani that they had...their choice.
    Now the factory and I are left with a few dozen Ascorti(sp) and several dozen Alpha Big Boy. Please tell me something about them.... Worth anything??
    Thanks ... ted

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Are they out of Alpha blue ridge ?

3. ted

ted Member

Saw a dozen. Mostly standard shapes. Had one loooong bulldog and a couple of "flying saucers".....(sh'rooms they call them) in sandblast with smooth panels.. Getting scarce.... ted

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Ted you have pics by chance? I might be interested in a couple of em' :groucho:

5. ted

ted Member

Sorry Rugbysh9, They are at the factory and I didn't take the camera. Ascorti???? any idea? thanks ted

6. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

DITTO :thumbsu:

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ascorti is a midgrade or maybe midgrade minus brand out of Italy, Peppino Ascorti was one of the founders of the Caminetto brand.

The one I have has the best acrylic stem I've ever seen - super thin and a very well cut button, just the right size. It's built well. I think they are kind of a "value" Italian pipe, sold through chain tobacconists etc.

8. ted

ted Member

Again, Thanks SAS. Appreciate it. Next trip to the factory I'll have some of these if the bits are that good... Thanks again... ted

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ted , Ascorti are very good pipes . I dont think they have pipes under 150.00 [ ? ]. They came up with the " New Deer " rustication that was huge for the time . If you get them reasonable it would be wise .

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Actually Ted I'll bet you can sell a whole wack of pipes here if you can get some photos.

11. ted

ted Member

SAS, I'll take the camera the next time I go to the factory, started to this morning as I went to Halsey Drug. Grabow has seen way too much of me since July.

One thing I want understood... I try and make NO PPROFIT on what I buy. Just a break even with postage. Shootinok got 2 Aldo Velani Straight Grains for $105.00 I made $9.00, and told him I did. The 2 he didn't take will make twice that on ebag (a friend is selling them). This hobby/habit/recreation/ENJOYMENT/work that we all enjoy allowed me to retire at 56. Live on a SPECTACULAR farm in NC, a home in Florida. This thing, pipe smoking/making/enjoying, has been really good to me and my family. If it costs me a few bucks to send a free pipe to one of you (Mr Moo), or a few "hands" of Burley, then so be it,
    Pipe Smoking(and making) means more to me than you'all will ever know, and this must continue. Damn the Governments.

One day I'll talk about failing out of UNC.... I did..... ted

12. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

"Shootinok got 2 Aldo Velani Straight Grains for $105.00 I made $9.00"
    I wouldn't have cared if you made $90 - I still got a great deal! :thankyou:
    They are absolute beauties.

We're sure glad you found this place. (I know I speak for the crowd) :thumb:

13. ted

ted Member

Thank you. Means a "right smart" to me. We'll meet again... Enjoy the Velanis... ted

14. ted

ted Member

Guys, Went back to the factory this morning with a list of Ascorti to buy for y'all. Unfortunately they (along with the Aldo Velani) had all been sold. I found a couple, but they were pretty "trashy". I apologize for getting hopes up, but it happens... ted

15. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

No problem...thanks for thinking of us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.