1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

B&M Free Scores

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Spillproof, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I do some estate pipe resto's for my local B&M in exchange for "stuff."

I returned 3 cleaned-up pipes today and the owner gave me three pipes to keep, which kinda blew me away. Normally I might get a couple tins of bacchy.

A no-name Meer, a "vintage" MM, and best of all, a Comoy Guildhall giant. The meer and MM were in rough shape, but the Guildhall just needed cleaning in polishing (I had been eyeballing it and he knew it).

He also gave me some baccy, and curiously, one of them is called "Yin Yang's English." Hmmmmm.

Here are some pics:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After[​IMG]

All three after clean up and the bacchy:
    [​IMG]

Old Codger, Marker and prole like this.
  2. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Nice looking pipes and baccy's! I really enjoy the MacB Rollcake... thats a darned fine smoke! You gotcha a darned fine haul!

Spillproof likes this.
  3. prole

prole Member

Nicely done. How does one go about cleaning up a meer with a scorched rim like that? It looks great now. Is saliva on a q-tip head enough?

4. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Come to think about it.. I have a SMS meer that could use this kinda treatment.. Do tell, whats the secret?

5. Spillproof

Wouldn't rec my method today prole: I resurfaced the whole thing with various grades of sandpaper (up to 2000). Wouldn't do that to anything other than a no-name blank, too risky.

Spit and a fingernail works on most stuff, but if you want it white... well, you gotta take some chances.

6. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

So using the ole spit and fingernail trick without doing too much damage to the wax coating?

7. prole

prole Member

Ah, thanks. I remember not finding much when I googled how to 'refurbish' a well smoked meer before

8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Nice score!

9. Spillproof

Spit and a fingernail will def remove wax too Darkly, especially if you really have a nasty layer of char to deal with. An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure. Keep it clean brah.

Reapplying wax when you're done is easy compared to not rubbing nasty gunk into fresh meer in the process of trying to clean the damn thing up. Thus the sandpaper today. It was a PIA

If Doug (B&M guy) had asked me to try and fix that pipe for someone else, I woulda said no. It's not quite the same pipe anymore, it's a little smaller, and visually, the stem-line is off because of the sanding (tapering). Doesn't matter to me because it's clean and no longer all scratched up, but it would have mattered a LOT to a customer. An angry, rich customer.

Old Codger likes this.
  10. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Yeah.. that woulda been no bueno..lol

Spillproof likes this.
  11. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Very nice score & nicely done!

Paul

12. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Guilhalls make me weak in the knees.

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Spillproof

Yeah well I got that one today because I'm a little scared of you Dwaugh.... Just wanna "blend" you know?

;-)

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.