Bad expirience with Carter Hall

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bacek, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacek

Bacek Member

Yesterday I finished my first pouch of CH. I liked it's neutrality, bitelessness and light nutty/bread flavor. I smoked it pure and admixing it to other tobacco. So today I went to supermarket looking for CH tub. No luck, but they had pouches, so I got two. Upon opening - strong chocolate smell, which was not there in my first pouch. Tobacco looked darker in color. Opened second pouch - same thing. I filled my pipe and start smoking. WTF?! Aggressive chemicals, nothing like my very first pouch. Taste is totally different if I can call it a taste... Now I'm sitting with mouth full of blisters, thinking where I can get "right" CH...

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That's not entirely uncommon with some blends, notably the "drugstore" blends, and perhaps most notably "Granger", which if you go look at tobaccoreviews.com seemed for awhile to have 2 factories - one producing tobacco, the other producing a mixture of tobacco and shredded plastic.

Where was the first Carter Hall from? Was it old?

3. Bacek

Bacek Member

I got my first and loved one from remote "Discount Tobacco Shop" while visiting big mall with my wife. Didn't look old... The two pouches with formaline and saw dust looked exatly the same...
    Instead of throwing two new pouches in garbage bin I decided to experiment with washing the chemicals out... with water... Stay tuned.

4. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

give them a c
    give them a call and they will send you a coupon for a couple of free pouches

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Just don't go and make tea out of it. :bangin:

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

This explains my first experience! I bought a pouch at the suggestion of many here and was vastly disappointed. I didnt want to post that fact but now I shall try another pouch or two. Sure glad you posted!!!! Thanks!

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mak, no one will fault you even if you find out that you simply don't like it. We all have different tastes and on this forum, at least, they are generally respected.

8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Much appreciated! I actually just thought it was something I had done incorrectly with regards to smoking the toby. Half the fun here is trying all these suggestions mentioned on this forum. Makes for a great journey!

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

You could always try another pouch, as it might be totally different, but if you still don't like it there's no sense torturing yourself.

10. Bacek

Bacek Member

Nah, I put both pouches in my old but clean t-short, put this sac inside my wife's strainer and poured cold filtered water (about a gallon). Rinsed water came out dark brown. Squeezed all water out and put all wet tobacco on silicon sheet to dry. Will try to smoke it tomorrow. I hope the irritating my mouth chemicals are water soluble. Will see.

11. Bacek

Bacek Member

OK, it didn't improve a bit. Conclusion: Nasty chemicals that burn my mouth can't be removed by rinsing tobacco out. Everything goes to toilet.

12. WillH

WillH Active Member

OTC tobacco has, for years, left a bad taste in my mouth! It didn't used to be so. They add something to the tobacco that I find offensive. I swear I found some WOOD in a pouch of SWR a few years back! Stopped buying the stuff altogether.....sad:(

Will

13. ddandb

ddandb Member

Did you drink the water??

14. Bacek

Bacek Member

I saw your post about Tabak Tea. Sorry, I'm not that strong but I thank you for your scientific bravery.

15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I bought my last batch of CH from 4noggins from their bulk supply. It was the nutty/bread flavor, so plan to get my next batch from them as well. You can buy the 14 oz tub too.

16. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

If you saw how tobacco was handled at the factory, nothing would surprise you. I worked in a plant for 8 years. A previous poster is right, write the company and they will send you free cooupons. Go to a different store and get some from another batch.

17. Bacek

Bacek Member

What do you suggest me to write? "Your tobacco sucks, send me coupons to buy more of it"? What would be the right wording to get tears bursting from company man's eyes to move him enough so that he gives me credit?

18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You get action if you write like this: "Dear Sirs. I recently purchased some of your product, and found that it tasted terrible and caused my mouth to react. I have enjoyed the tobacco in the past, so I feel that it must be a bad batch. The people on the pipe smoking forum I participate on suggested I contact you...."

That is, in a very friendly way, you tell them that you have had it before and this stuff was different, and that you have access to a fairly public area where you discuss such things.

yinyang likes this.
  19. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

This.

Politeness...with a portion of disdain, can soften the resolve of the steeliest corporate shmo.

Remember, nothing says 'uh oh' like a public shaming. :)

20. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

I wonder if these things have date codes that we could use to start a database which shows "subpar" product??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.