bad first impressions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by greasemunki85, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

So I tried some tinderbox blend called Black Tie, read some pretty bad reviews about this tobacco, after the fact of trying it. (should have done my homework first right?), Too moist, tasted artificial, tasted chemicly, ect ect ect.
    I put it down for a couple weeks, kinda gave up and went to a couple of different other backys - Midnight, Black Russian, University Flake.
    By chance, I said screw it, ill give the black tie another chance in my comoy and see what it does.
    By chance, I had a wonderful experience tonight with this blend, that left me thinking what the heck did I do wrong the first time??
    maybe I gave it time to dry a little, maybe the temperatures outside were a little too hot at the time for this blend, Im really not sure, but it had a very wonderful marshmellow taste, and smoked consistantly through the bowl, down to the dottle, no bite, no gurgle (could be the pipe helping that out too)

Have you guys ever done this before? Im sure this is probably a common thing, but fascinating none the less.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It certainly happens, and I always tried to give a new blend a series of tries over a few months, in different pipes, different moisture etc. Sometimes you find something nice, and sometimes the yucky ones stay yucky.

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I always make it a practice to always smoke a toby 4 to 5 times before i ever make the call good or bad. But that is just me and how i like to go about it.

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I think most of us would of done this. I think it's also another reason why I personally have no favorite tobacco. I'll like something at one moment weather it be an aromatic bled, straight VA or a strong Irish. Next time I'll change my mind and what I favored now tastes like crap. Moisture makes a big difference too I've found. Some wet aros that tasted terrible on purchase tasted totally different in six months.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I've also found that sometimes stress levels can affect the smoking experience too! When stressed, I find myself puffing too hard or too fast and that turns the smoke hot and sour. It's also possible that stress affects the chemistry inside the mouth.. which could lead to tongue bite.

So as much as possible, when I'm trying out a new blend, I make sure I'm relaxed, and not stressed out, and not in a rush... :bing:

6. Jay

Jay Active Member

I think that when one buys a new toby that he wants to like it and is disappointed when he doesn't. Toby isn't like a cookie, and is a little more expensive. I've found that when I do come around to smoke something that I wasn't totally impressed with in the first place that the experience is different and that sometimes this may reflect a maturity of taste since the last time it was smoked. It is a good thing to like it--you own it.

J

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Agreed- you always think "Oh man this is gonna be sOOOoooo good" and when it's not quite what you expected, it's a let down, that only time can heal.

8. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I have had it happen many times over the years. I like to try a new toby in a few pipes and over a period of time before I make a final decision on it. Of course, there are so many tobaccos out there that it is hard to stick with one if it doesn't impress.

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

The 2nd time around thing has worked with me before on Red Cake. At first try I thought it kinda smoked and smelled like hay. I jarred it for a bit then tried again after about 2 weeks and had a whole different perspective on it.

I think I'd just heard how much many others liked it and thought it was going to be "superweed", but then my own preconceived idea was nowhere close to reality.

Now it's one of my favorites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.