Bad tasting pipe

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by LBauer12, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

I've had this Savinelli Trevi for a few months and almost every smoke, but not all throughout, I get a terrible burning plastic/hair, sick sweet kind of taste...repugnant. I thought at first it just needed to be broken in, but it's been too long and I'm starting to think it has something to do with the black finish. I remember hearing about issues with Peterson finishes, not sure if it was the taste or not though. Anyone?

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Is the pipe new or used, is the bowl stained, bare wood or coated, what does the mortise & tenon look like & what tobacco are you smoking? Also, does a pipe cleaner go through OK and does it smoke wet?

3. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

New, not sure if the inside was stained I think it was black so probably. Mostly Latakia blends, a pipe cleaner would fit but it's got a filter. It smokes a little wet, no gurgling but a bit wet at bottom of bowl at the end.

4. piper965

piper965 Member

It could have been stained in the bowl. This will cause a strange taste. What is the stem made of? Vulcanite or acrylic? What type of filter? Paper or balsa wood? Have you tried it without the filter?

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

It's acrylic with balsa wood inserts. I tried once without filter it gurgled a little. If it's stain should I sand it down or will it go away eventually?

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've never had an issue with a Savinelli . Someone probably screwed up and let some stain run down the interior of the bowl ... that will make it tase real bad for a while , though I dont know how long . I purchsed Three Tevere lately [ same as yours except a gold band ] and they have been flawless . The longest it took me to get through a horrid taste was 12 bowls [ peterson ] . Hopefully yours will clear up ... maybe try some Burley

7. CavenFish

CavenFish Active Member

Change the filter, if you haven't already. Did it taste just as bad without the filter?

Snake likes this.
  8. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

Salt and alcohol treatment. Do it twice and the pipe should smoke like a champ without any bad taste what-so-ever.

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1
    If you haven't changed
    the filter since you
    started smoking the
    pipe, then we've found
    the answer.

10. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

Yes I change the filter every two smokes. I was just thinking about doing the salt and alcohol thing, I'll try that hopefully it fixes the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.