1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Balkan Sasieni

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by afiaowo, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I’ve been working through a tin of Sasieni. The tin aroma, flavor and room note are all dominated by an incense flavor. I would like to call it spice but it reminds me more of incense.

Does this come from the tobacco, the particular wood used to smoke the Latakia, or is it a topping?

2. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I called Villiger Stokkebye thinking that they were the distributor because of a review I found. Although Lane now distributes Sasieni, the gentleman was nice enough to answer my question.

He believes that the flavor that I’m getting comes from the fact that the Latakia is smoked over camel’s dung.

I’ve read that smoking over dung is traditional but didn’t know it was still being done.

3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Oh my! :eek:

4. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Mmmmm camel dung.

It could be worse, you could be drinking that coffee that's made from beans that get pooped out by cats...just sayin ;)

TedVig, Trauma and Mington like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The blending houses claim the camel dung it is an old wives tale. According to what I've read, most of the Latakia is grown in Cyprus rather than Syria now. Syria might have camels but I doubt Cyprus has any. Latakia is likely cured over pine & hardwood smoke as the blending houses claim.

conroygc and dwaugh like this.
  6. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

I think you mean bats....could be mistaken though

Mington likes this.
  7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Mington likes this.
  8. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Well, I'm proved wrong...

couldve sworn ive some coffee that was made from coffee beans that bats had "processed"

Mington likes this.
  9. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

With that comment I did more digging. I found this on the G.L. Pease webpage.

Q: Is Latakia really cured over smoldering camel dung?
    A: The only smoldering dung is that used to fuel the myths about Latakia. I wouldn't really care if the myth were reality, since I really love the stuff, but, it's important to understand that a variety of herbs and hardwoods are used in the processing of Latakia, not camel dung. No matter how many times I say this, the myth will probably be promulgated until the Sun stops revolving about the Earth... (That's a joke, by the way, just in case it isn't obvious*.) For more information on the wonderful, smoky weed, read my article, "A Tale of Two Latakias."

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm tasting herbs (no jokes guys!) more than the smoke.

So much to learn!

10. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I would totally believe there is a bat one as well.

11. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

wow this blend is really cheap at sp only 6.83 a tin.

12. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Shhhh ;)

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I like the smoke from camels dung. I like camel toes too.

14. conroygc

conroygc Member

That hilarious the Lane rep told you that urban legend. I'll bet they're laughing about that at the office right now.

Dondi and OldSouled65 like this.
  15. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

To be fair, it was the Villiger rep. Sad I think.

16. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

If something smoked over camel dung was that intoxicating, I'd still probably smoke it. :puffy:

N3M0 and Dondi like this.
  17. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

It is cats. The name of the coffee (not sure on spelling) is Kope Luack. The wild cats eat the beans and the beans process as it goes through their digestive system. About $50.00 for a few ounces of bean.

18. Bent

Bent Member

For some reason every time I smoke Balkan Sasieni (which love) I stink of campfire and Latakia more than with any other blend. It's not just a stink of smoke, it is a nice and pleasant "bouquet" that stays with me for a little while. If it's camel dung, I'll take it, though I don't think that's the case.

19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

got that right! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.