1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Balkan Sasieni

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by erickghint, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickghint

erickghint Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Just about a year ago (Sept. 7th of last year, to be exact. I looked up the post...) I tried an English blend from my local B&M called Cutter. It smelled great, and I couldn't wait to try it. When I got home, I grabbed a pipe, loaded the bowl and lit that beast. Piss... for some reason it tasted like someone peed in my pipe, or cured the tobacco by letting it ferment in urine. So I went off to try and find out if it was the tobacco, or just my tastes. Moo helped me out, and sent me some Penzance to try out. Same deal. It just tasted like something I hated. I still to this day don't know exactly what it was.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when I was putting in an order with Smokingpipes. I considered my options, and thought about tastes. Over the past year that I've been smoking, I've developed a taste for Virginia tobaccos, and it got me thinking. How about I try another Lat blend? Which to pick? Well... from what I'd heard, Balkan Sasieni was pretty heavy in Latakia, and I figured if I'm gonna go, I might as well go all out. So I ordered a tin and figured if I didn't like it, someone here would get a gift.

When my order came, I jumped straight for the OGS that I had ordered and set the Sasieni aside for that moment, almost scared of it. After a wonderful bowl of OGS, I thought about loading up a bowl of the Balkan mix and giving it a try. Bowl, tobacco, load, step outside, fire to leaf... and then... just wow. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and I was hooked. For whatever reason, over the past year my tastes have changed quite a bit it seems. I got none of that strange taste that I had associated with Latakia, and I really enjoyed the bowl. Slowly smoking it, trying to pick out little bits of what was what as far as Lat vs Oriental, and picking out the little bits of Virginia that were there. It was great. To me, it seemed at that moment that there were no tobaccos that I would shy away from just because they had Latakia in them. I really feel like I've opened a door to other blends that, a year ago, I would have turned down. At any rate, I really dig it, and it looks like I have another type of baccy that I can start ordering.

P.S. - Surprisingly, the little lady actually likes the smell. Bonus points have been scored.
  2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    And you can tell us about it as you progress through the tin in the Sept/Oct 2t2m.

Good read BTW EG.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Um, the 'little lady' likes the smell? I'm in awe...seriously. My wife chases me around the house with Lysol if I as so much as pick up a tin containing 'that vile garbage'. I think...yup, I officially hate you. :puffy:
  4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    If you want to explore a little more get some Rattray's Red Rapparreeeee and some Presbytarian. That'll show you some more about orientals. Then maybe get some Westminster to check out for less orientals and more latakia. Then get you some McClelland Three Oak Syrian or some MacBaren Vintage Syrian to check out the Syrian/Cyprian latakia differences.

You are in trouble now. It is all a downward spiral from here.

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.