1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Balkan Sobranie - To Buy or Not To Buy?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mount Mandolin, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

So the B&M got some of the re-released Balkan Sobranie in (sorry if anyone got excited and thought it was the real deal, lol), and I'm wondering what folks think about it and whether I should get some. The reason I ask first is because, A) I've bought a lot of tobacco lately, and B) I have a bunch of Balkans that I like, and I just don't know whether this one is worth spending the dough on or not. I don't think it's very expensive or anything, but you know, gotta save that money sometimes.

So yeah, just wanted to get some opinions. I never pre-judge a blend based on what people say about it, but I do occasionally seek advice as to whether I should part with my hard-earned money or not, and this is one of those times. I've been wanting to try the stuff, so maybe I'll buy it anyway, but I'd still like to hear what people have to say. I'm a bit of an Anglo-phile, and I love anything that comes from old-time roots and that sort of thing, so the Sobranie name has always intrigued me.

Whaddaya think, folks? :puffy:

dwaugh likes this.
  2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I like it, so I would recommend it, but I'm far from an expert tobacco taster. It's hard to get, so if you don't like it, it would be easy to trade. From reading your last sentence, I can tell your going to try it anyway, you know you can't resist :). -David

Dondi, Lestrade and Mount Mandolin like this.
  3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Your gonna buy it so just go ahead & do it . ;)
    I bought two haven't opened it yet. I think I'm gonna let it sit for a while.

Mount Mandolin and dwaugh like this.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Even the re-released stuff is difficult to find. This might be you only chance.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  5. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Agreed. If it's not too expensive I would say buy a tin to try and buy more if you like it since it seems to be in short supply (in relation to the demand). There also seem to be enough people wanting it that even if you don't like it you could trade for a tin you do like.

6. Capt

Capt Active Member

Buy it, you have nothing to loose, and if ya don't care for it, trade it like David said!

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

You have to buy a tin to smoke it to see if you like it, so get a tin and enjoy!

8. furious

furious Junque collector

Buy one to smoke and one to cellar/trade like I did. I just got mine Thursday and have had only four bowls so far. Since it's from Germain, you know that it is good quality leaf, but the power is not there like it was in the former version (Gallagher). The tobacco is different now. Still, I think that most balkan lovers will go nuts over this offering, and those who remember the glory days of BS (pre-1980) will buy for nostalgia alone.

SmokeyJoe and Mount Mandolin like this.
  9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I like it a lot! BUY!

10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

+1 for the trade fodder advice. I've been trading a good bit lately, and it's almost as addictive as PAD & TAD. I guess it would be a sub-addiction in the TAD vein. TAD/TS or TAD/Trader's Syndrome.
    Get it and smoke it or trade it away, I say.

11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

When you decide you don't like it you can trade it to me. I have many inferior balkans I'd be willing to swap :ngty:

12. Mount Mandolin

Good post, thanks. I'm a big fan of Balkans, so I don't see it being too difficult to like. I guess I just wanted to reassure myself on here. I actually haven't looked at the tins yet, but I buy enough stuff in there that if they have it marked up outrageously I might be able to worm it down a little bit. I'm more than likely their biggest pipe smoking customer by far, because I have noticed that usually, the tins that I buy are generally nearly the only tins that disappear. Most of the people who come in there just buy a half-pound of their popular aromatic, which seems to also be the case at the B&M where my family lives in Birmingham. I am absolutely sure I buy more tinned tobacco than anyone else who goes to that store, by a long shot. What's weird though, they sold out of the Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipes already, except for one. I did NOT expect that, because I so rarely see guys smoking pipes in there. Cigars carry the store.

And I never even thought about the trade thing. That's a really good point. I'm sure I'll buy one and smoke it on the spot, and then if I like it I'll get one more to put away. My closet where I keep all my tobacco is starting to bulge, lol.

furious and SmokeyJoe like this.
  13. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

I have no real desire to buy BS. It's not the same blend as the original anyway.

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Yeah, it's not the same, but it's still really good.

15. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

Not the same, but it is the same recipe.

I liked it so much that I've bought 6 tins so far, and sleep with one under my pillow.

Lestrade, Mount Mandolin and Dondi like this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Where are you finding it available?

17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think the whole "same recipe" thing is a gross misnomer. This conversation has been well chewed over here, but suffice to say some blends are better left to annals of history.
    Yes, it's a fair blend, and yes, Arango and JFG are getting good buzz, but to what end? Give me back my Smokers Haven blends, and let me have Special Latakia Flake whenever I want it before you butcher up a piece of history.
    Maybe it's the influx of new pipe smokers reading about classic old blends and wanting to try them, I really don't know, but someday down the road people will talking about Exotique, Krumble Kake, Our Best Blend (which, by the way, was originally created for Smokers Haven by Sobranie, then taken over by Germain - sound familiar?) and Anniversary with the wistfulness that occupies today's BS conversations.

I'm putting my soapbox back in the closet now.

Edited to add to the OP, yes, in spite of my rantings, it's still a solid blend, and well worth a try.

Mount Mandolin and SouthBound like this.
  18. Mount Mandolin

Lol, I can understand. I disagree about "butchering" it though. I think if you were to try it and it was horrible, that would be butchering it, but it seems like public opinion is extremely favorable on this one. Having never even come close to experiencing anything of Smokers Haven, I won't touch that topic, but I have some pet blends that, were they to disappear, I might curl up into a ball and cry like a baby. I've often considered taking out Nightcap Insurance. :byg:

And hell, I'm about to order at least a quarter pound (and maybe a half) of Larry's Blend from H&H because I love it so much, so I understand. Some stuff I just couldn't imagine being without. I think Solani Silver Flake is quickly being added to that list.

19. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Go for it! I would put steep odds on the fact that you won't be trading it... If you like Balkans in general, you will be really entertained searching out all the different favors in this blend.

I never had the old stuff, but the new is wonderfull in its own right!

20. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

So MM, have you tried some yet? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.