1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

basket pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Dec 30, 2011
    So how do you know your buying a basket pipe?
    ive heard this term used a few times now but i dont know if i saw one. a smoke shop close to home has a few cheap 40$ pipes that is only writen `made in italy` on them thats it. Is that a basket pipe ?
  2. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Normally a tobacco shop will have a basket or a bucket on the counter which has many no-name pipes piled up in it, hence the name basket pipe. These pipes are sometimes made by quality pipe makers but because they do not meet the company's standard their name is not put on them.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Steve summarized it nicely. Sometimes basket pipes can be a bargin. Sometimes not. If they have a very dark stain they likely have a lot of fills which are putty or clay filled sand pits that normally occur in briar. Look closely to see if the air way is close to the bottom of the chamber and check to make sure it is centered in the chamber.
  4. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    I always look at them and ponder whether I'm in a gamblin' mood or not. Usually not. If I'm only willing to part with a few bucks I'll throw down on a cob. Sometimes you find great bargains though.
    Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I usually associate a "Basket Pipe" as being an unnamed pipe, or one that isn't marked by a specific manufacturer.

I've had a bunch of them. Most were gurglers and off set on drilling. Some really worse than others.

But the majority of the Italian no-name or basket pipes I've found to be bargains. I have two bent Italian no-name pipes that smoke like premium pipes.

I've learned on PSF how to spot good drilling, but that doesn't guarantee the briar wont taste sour or the pipe will smoke well.

I've actually found a brand of pipes I really like that are close to basket or drug store status, but smoke like a dream. In all 3 that I've bought. But I'm not telling what they are until I score a few more. :ngty: Or it would start a buying frenzy and drive up the price.
  6. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    My local B&M always has a bunch of basket pipes and most of them are garbage, but the last time I stopped in I noticed there were some low end savinelli's and some other "brand name" pipes in the basket. The prices ranged from $30-60. But don't forget you can't go wrong with Dr. Grabows or most older kaywoodie pipes on ebay.
  7. atwageman

atwageman Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Most of the basket pipes I see these days are garbage. Heavily cheap looking stain with heavy coat of shallac.
  8. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

May 5, 2011
    I think you've got how to spot them...being stamped "Italy" or not at all is pretty much a dead giveaway!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.