Be careful what you ask for...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jgstudios, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Well, I learned a bit of a lesson last night when it comes to nicotine. For the last week or two I've been searching for stuff with more nic. I kind of got hooked on University Flake so like an idiot, I wanted MORE! It just so happened, my latest order of tobys came in with several English, Balkan, Oriental tins. Ten Russians and Commonwealth Mixture was part of it. So I promptly popped open both of those and had a bowl of each over the course of the evening, then I topped it off with University Flake before bed. I was out in the back yard sitting in a patio chair looking up at the stars for several hours throughout the evening. I also had a couple of Odell's IPA pints to keep things interesting. Man, when I got up after that last bowl of UF, I was kind of woozy and realized I had taken things too far. Because it's so cold here I had on a Carhartt insulated jumpsuit and heavy boots and a wind jacket over the suit. I had a pretty hard time getting all that stuff off and up to bed. I had a slight urge to hurl, and almost chose crash on the couch in the jumpsuit. My noggin was spinning and I could swear my face was green. I managed to get my wits back, peeled off all that heavy clothing and made it to bed. This morning I woke up feeling a bit of a nic hangover. Nothing serious, but I had absolutely no desire to have a morning smoke when I walked my dog, I still don't. Uggghh! From now on, I'm going to be more careful selecting my rotations. I've learned my lesson. JG

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Oh yeah. Like I put in another post, last weekend woke up really early and decided to skip breakfast and any water or anything and loaded up one of my huge bowl pipes with University Flake and fired it like a blast furnace. Right about 9 AM my wife said she looked through the glass door into the backyard and it looked like I was drunk or buzzed laying on the reclining patio chair and just staring at the trees. Moral of the story: Tobacco is a fickle mistress, treat her right or you will PAY!!

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Moral of the story is lots of things in life are enjoyable until you lose all restraint. ;)

Hey, it's not anything most of us haven't done! You'll get back up on your horse real soon and be a sadder but wiser guy. We've all been there!

4. justMike

justMike Member

UF don't take no prisoners, that's for sure.... far more civilised start to the morning is Marlin Flake...

CalPiper likes this.
  5. Capt

Capt Active Member

I'll admit, I have a high tolerance to nicotine. Only time I ever felt sick or green was when I swallowed a cheek full of Kodiak in high school. I can have a chew in, smoke UF, all while snorting some snuff. Lol. Never tried that, but I'm sure it's possible. Just like anything, moderation is the key.

6. andrew

andrew Member

I think nearly all of us have pushed it a little too far once or twice. Learn the lesson, move on. I've done the "smoke before anything else" thing. The results have been... diverse. Seems to depend quite a bit on what I've eaten/drank the night before.

7. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

OOps!! Lucky you weren't outside looking at those stars all night.

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Irish Flake put the whuppin' on my candy azz!

Sea Story time (and this'uns a "No Shatter")...

It's 1990, I'm a crypto weenie who has been deployed to the USS David R. Ray (Spruance-Class Destroyer). We're doing our "secret squirrel" stuff in a crypto van (a porable intel shack) that has been lashed to the deck. We're the only properly equipped platform in the area, and we're 13 miles off the coast of Kuwait. Iraq invades. I'm the supervisor, and I've just put in an 18hr day. My tail is dragging, but what am I gonna do - girlymen exit stage left...

We have some Marines in out litte Det. They see me dragging, so one of them gives me an instant coffee packet from an MRE (at least that's where he claimed it came from). OK, I've got the instant coffee, but no liquid. We have a little refrigerator in there, and in it is some local Arab soft drink called Oman Dew. It's basically a knock-off of Mountain Dew, but the caffeine content puts it in the neighborhood of Jolt Cola. One of the Marines sees me eyeballing the instant coffee and the Oman Dew and declares "You ain't got a hair..." I prove I do have a hair and I pour the instant coffee (dry) from the package into my mouth, then power chug the Oman Dew to wash it down. The Marines are now uttering the traditional Japanese alcohol abuse chant: "Ikee, Ikee, ikee..." as they pound their little desks with their fists, and I think the Div-O (who is over helping the communicator), is gonna puke. (He was basically a sandcrab and this was his first deployment, so what do you expect).

We're talking JP-5 jet fuel here, buckaroos, and I take off on the caffeine high from hell!! Another eight hours later I get to hit the rack, but I'm still geeking! Eventually it wears off and I get a couple of hours sleep and go back at it again. However, I've never mixed MRE instant coffee and Oman Dew ever again.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Some fascinating things happen around here after a bowl of pipe tobacco!, the only bad, or maybe good effect I've had in 50+yrs. is a 'laxative' effect after the first pipe of the morning!:moon:
    OT:xd:

Capt, HCraven, CalPiper and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Nic-sick is a terrible feeling. A trick that really does help (I learned it on here, can't remember who posted it) is to put a teaspoon of sugar under your tongue and let it dissolve. I was skeptical, but after a recent overindulgence (with University Flake- strange coincidence) I gave it a try and by Jove it worked. I wasn't good as new, but it did dispel the creeping nausea.

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Cup of coffee and a smoke are absolutely guaranteed to get the morning traffic going ;)

dwaugh, andrew and Old Ted like this.
  12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

13. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Just dont smoke that pipe and drink that coffee on the morning commute to work and then realize you are stuck on the freeway in bumper to bumper traffic!!!!!! :startl:

Old Ted likes this.
  14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Looks like the lesson was learned, jg. One of the things I like about pipe tobacco is that not every good blend kicks out too much nicotine (very few do, in my opinion). I love beer too, but aside from Anchor Steam, most beers that I like to drink clock in at 8% abv or higher. I get together with a friend of mine every now and again and put away 3 or maybe 4 of those, but for the most part I don't want to have more than 1-2 at a time, because I'm not out to get drunk or even buzzed, just enjoy a good beer. I can enjoy several bowls of excellent tobacco, on the other hand, and suffer no ill effect.

Peach21 likes this.
  15. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

My body has its own "early warning" system. When my body starts to vibrate, I need to eat something fast!

SouthBound likes this.
  16. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I am very weak when it comes to nicotine, the stuff eats me alive. I have never been able to dip, chew or smoke cigs. Well, when I first got MM 965 I loved it so much I sucked down a big bowl in 20 minutes flat. I got so sick I was hugging the porcelain god, never did hurl, but I felt like I wanted too.

17. Jay

Jay Active Member

Gawd I love Anchor Steam!

HCraven likes this.
  18. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

OK now you've got me curious. Time to get a tin of UF.
    I wonder if it will help with the cigarette cravings ? Sounds like it will make me too sick to want one ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.