1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Before and after re-waxing (pictures)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pipestone, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipestone

pipestone Member

I know I had told some people on here that I would post pictures after I re-waxed my new pipe. The difference is astonishing! I was kind of hoping to do some coloring on this bowl myself but as you can see there's not much more I could add to it.

This is before and exactly how I received the bowl.
    [​IMG]

After a wax bath
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

looks good!.....now you need a 'virgin' to work on! ;)
    OT

pipestone likes this.
  3. pipestone

pipestone Member

I was originally going for an Altinok (you may remember) but I saw this one on the bay and I fell in love. Work has been slow this summer so I didn't mind not spending the extra doe. That will come in time I'm sure. But until then, I'm more than satisfied with this one.

Old Codger likes this.
  4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Wow, that thing must be a great smoker, someone sure has put some mileage on it!

5. pipestone

pipestone Member

It is a great smoker. My first bowl in it smoked right to the bottom without a re-light and no gurgle. She's been well cared for too. There's no pipe cleaner marks in the bottom of the bowl.

Jussto likes this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nice!

One of the neat things about estate meerschaums is that, once re-waxed, you literally get the benefit of all the previous owners smokes. Once he has burned the wax off, he may have smoked it hundreds or thousands of times afterward, but the tars remain, waiting for a new batch of wax to bring them to the surface.

Chances are your pipe will lighten a bit as you smoke it, but should return to full glory over time.

7. pipestone

pipestone Member

Kerr, you may be able to answer this for me. Do you see that lighter spot on the top of the shank right where the stem starts? I've seen that a couple times with old meerschaums. Do you know what causes that? It's almost like an inconsistency in the meer and the tar just didn't want to surface there.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Can't really answer it. I have one meer that I would say is fully colored (it can't get much darker and it's very uniform), except it has an almost white spot on the bottom of the shank. It's about the color of the background on PSF (sand colored) and the rest of the pipe is about the shade of yours. I can't explain it. I suppose it's where the meerschaum has a different consistency. It's a natural substance, like briar, and will exhibit anomalies.

9. Iain

Iain Active Member

My lattice billiard is like that pretty much all over. At first the colouring was smooth and consistent, but now it's gotten really dark it's as thought the 'grain' of the block is being revealed in lots of tiny light and dark spots.

10. pipestone

pipestone Member

That is strange. It's also add that meerschaum is still a mystery. I think it holds a lot of secrets we don't know about. With the technology that we have today, we should know all about it and why it acts the way it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.