1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner pipe ? Just ordered a peterson.Do i need a corncob?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Zrab11, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zrab11

Zrab11 Member

Oct 8, 2012

Well i have smoked my buddies pipe 5-10 times over the last month and finally decided to get one of my own. I just Purchased Donegal Rocky (B10) P-Lip Peterson..

I read alot on the internet where people say when your a beginner get a Corn cob to try out before you buy a nicer pipe. But since i already knew i liked pipe smoking i jumped right in to a briar pipe. But after being on this forum for only 2 days ive already noticed alot of long time pipe smokers have corn cobs.

I was reading on this forum about some of the FROG tabacco and "David Emond" posted a pic of some FROG tabacco and his corn cob pipe. I absolutly loved this pic and the pipe and already knew what my next pipe would be. A MM CG straight pipe. His looks even better than they do on the MM site!

So my next question now is. I don't want to get uber serious too quickly about pipe smoking(what i mean is i want to learn more) but i would like to do things right. Are corn cobs great for trying blends and other new tabacco before you put them in say your main pipe?(now i know most users on here have multiple pipes) But what I mean as a main pipe is. My peterson is the only pipe i will have for the next 4 months or so just because of money.

So i guess what I am asking is I don't have the money to do what my buddy does and have a Pipe Specifically for Peterson's Sherlock homles toabacoo and then other pipes he has for certain Styles only.

But should I smoke whatever out of both my peterson and corn cob since I am knew to pipe smoking or should I use each one for different stuff.

Thanks so much for any advice. Hopefully i wasn't to confusing.
  2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 5, 2012
    The learning curve as a new piper is a steep (and quick) one.

The Pete that you bought will serve you for many years to come, provided you take care of it.
    As such, I do not recommend smoking your new briar more than once or twice a day, with lots of "rest" between for the moisture in the pipe to even out (otherwise you'll "sour" your pipe over time).

Yes, cobs are an excellent and affordable alternative to briar, and you can't have too many of them.
    The idea of "dedicated" pipes comes with having lots of pipes. Until you have lots of pipes, you'll make do with what you have.
    RTOdhner and MainePipe like this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    You should get a cob... but I think everybody should have at least one cob in their collection. I think you should lay off the Pete until you get your smoking technique down, and that is where a cob will come in really handy. Learning to smoke a pipe properly takes a little time, but it is well worth the effort. If you don't have your technique down, the Pete might disappoint you. Pete makes a very good pipe, so don't get frustrated or disappointed with it. Use the cob as your guinea pig, and use it do get your smoking technique down. Once you do that, I think you're gonna find that your Pete really shines.

As for dedicating pipes, well, some people can get a bit carried away. Basic Burley and Virginia blends can be smoked out of the same pipe. Latakia and Lakeland blends need their own pipe. Aros need their own pipe. Trying to dedicate specific blends to specific pipes is a great idea if either (a) you only smoke a few different blends, or (b) you have gobs of liquid cash on hand so that you can invest a grand into pipes... unless you're talking cobs, then you can get about 10 of them for under $100USD - and then let the dedication games begin.
    MainePipe and Skrymr like this.
  4. sorringowl

sorringowl SorringowlandSons.etsy.com

Aug 2, 2010
    As far as getting "uber serious too quickly about pipe smoking," it is too late. It's like saying to the girl of your dreams, "I don't want to fall in love with you too quickly..."
    Pipe smoking is the same way (except pipes don't get emotional for no reason whatsoever).

As to gettting a cob, I would say, yes. I, myself, have never smoked out of a cob, mostly because a tobacco shop employee once told me that, to him, they taste like burnt corn, and I don't particularly care for the taste of burnt corn. But, does that mean I will never try one? Definitely not. A MM Diplomat has long been on my PAD list, and burnt corn taste or no, I will have one, and, I'm sure I will grow to love the taste of burnt corn (as long as it's mixed in with the taste of good tobacco).

What I'm saying is, and, since you're starting out, if you have a chance to smoke any kind of pipe with any kind of tobacco, you should pretty much go for it. But yes, Spill is right, don't smoke your Pete too much in the beginning. I would just say, that once you've broken your pipe in, you might want to at least dedicate it to a particular style of tobacco (English, Aromatic, Flakes, etc.). That way the taste doesn't get too muddled with each successive smoke.

More importantly, never again utter the words, "I have smoked my buddies pipe 5-10 times over the last month..." Even among pipe smokers that sounds weird. Haha. Just ribbing the new guy :banana::bdance:

Seriously, though, and if money is an issue, you could always try getting a couple estate pipes. If you look on the Pipes for Sale forum, usually, some of the guys here will put up their pipes and often you can get some very good deals from people you can trust. Estate pipes, especially, when they're cleaned and buffed and ready to smoke, can offer new pipe smokers a great experience as, they're already broken in, and many of them (even inexpensive, factory pipes) are really good smokers. You can also try looking for unsmoked pipes on eBay. You can get some pretty good deals that way too.

Welcome aboard! And you might as well face it, you're addicted to pipes and tobacco. :hbang:
  5. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Aromatic Fart

Apr 1, 2012
    MM cobs (not the Chinese made) are great for working on your technique. AND, after you get that down, you'll probably just simply enjoy smoking one from time to time! For me, CH in a cob with black coffee is the best way to get the juices flowing in the morning!
    RTOdhner likes this.
  6. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Everyone needs a cob! In fact everyone needs many cobs.
    On a serious note though, I would recommend getting a few mm cobs, they smoke great and give the tobacco different characteristics than briar or meer.
    A well taken care of cob will last a long long time.
    RTOdhner likes this.
  7. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Cobs are great... Get a few...for reasons already listed...
    RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.