1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner Pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by wpdarby, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpdarby

wpdarby Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Hello fellow smokers!
    I started smoking a pipe occasionally when I turned 18, and now I'd like to get more serious about it. What are some good budget pipes? I like longer churchwarden styles, but I got one from Macqueen and it was disappointing. I'd rather not spend a lot of cash, but I do want something worthwhile. Thanks in advance guys!
  2. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Gday Will
    I found best value for money would be a estate pipe,
    you can sometimes find a high quility pipe for a fraction of the price.
    You could buy a restored estate that are ready to smoke.
    Another + to estates is that they are pre smoked with no break in required.
    A corn cob pipe can be a great start too. they are a few $ and smoke good.
    also another alternative is a basket pipe ( factory second ) smoetimes found in tobaconist.

Good luck there are that many pipes out there,
    if you see something you like dont be afraid to ask the guys here,
    someone will tell you if it is worth forking out your gold for it.
  3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    How much are you willing to spend?
  4. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Feb 14, 2010
    A corn cob is a really good suggestion. They are inexpensive, smoke wonderfully, and you can even get one with a churchwarden stem from these guys.
    This would be better than any "basket pipe" and under $30.
  5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

Jan 6, 2010
    for a briar you can't really beat a savinelli for price and reliability. i've never seen a bad sav, even if they're not my absolute favorite maker, and the only comparable pipes in price and quality would be stanwells or petersons, which i've had less consistent results with.

or a cob. cant beat them on price
  6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

May 2, 2010
    Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs -- The Diplomat or Legend are good choices
    Mario Grandi (if you like HUGE pipes)

All of the above have reasonably priced, attractive pipes that are good smokers.

That being said, like Pipedan suggested, the estate pipe route is a good one to take. That's how I started and it helped me learn a LOT about the mechanics of the pipe and how to restore them.
  7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    I love my briars but for the best possible performance, price and elimination of potential newguy error expenses it is hard not to join the cob mob. I love my cobs, too. No Chinese - only US made Missouir Meerschaums.
  8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Get a MM cob with a Walker bros. Forever Stem in churchwarden length. It'll be the best $30 you'll ever spend on a pipe (new). Trust me.....I'm a nurse. :)

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
  9. Jonny

Jonny Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I would check out some Estates first. A lot of people buy brand new pipes then have trouble breaking them in and it sets them off of pipe smoking. Estates are great, you can just refurbish them and still have them for a really long time. Plus its cool knowing that the pipe brought a lot of pleasure to someone(s) before you.
  10. wpdarby

wpdarby Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks for the starting ideas guys. If I find anything I'll be sure to get your opinion before I make a purchase. Especially if I end up ordering one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.