Beginner tobacco variety! Do I have some good ones.?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Zrab11, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zrab11

Zrab11 Member

Alright,,

So I'm sure you have read a million noob forums about what tabacco to get. So if they is a good thread that asks the same questions plz direct me the right way. If not I hope u can help me out.

Well I've smoked a pipe about 5-10 times and absolutely love it. I've done research over the last month and finally decided on a Donegal Rocky (B10) P-Lip pipe..

The tabacoo I have smoked before has only been sherlock Holmes and a house blend from a shop in indy. So I'm not really sure what I like but I thought I would get 3-4 tins and see what my style is.

I'd like to get 1 aromatic, 1 English, 1 Virginia and maybe 1 Latakia blend

What do you think of these choices

Mac Baren Mixture: Scottish Blend - for aromatic
    McClelland Tinned Premium: Mellow Mack - English and Virginia Blend
    Dunhill My Mixture 965 - English
    Peterson irish whiskey - just because I love Jamerson and other irish whiskeys

I have seen other Dunhill that sound interesting like the Early Morning. But my schedule doesn't allow me to smoke until the evening.

So basically id like to get 3-4 tins to try and see what my palate likes the best. Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything I said above as I am a noob and may have not said something correctly . Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

2. Bent

Bent Member

I think you nailed it. The best way to start experimenting is to experiment. A lot of time new pipe smokers are told to stick with this or that type of blend and that's not always the best. Try different styles, see what you like best, and proceed in that direction (and if you like it all, then proceed in all directions)

Keep in mind: while you may like, say, latakia blends, you may not be able to taste the complexity of a blend right away. That's fine, and that's normal. The more you smoke and experiment the more you "educate" your pallet, just like drinking wine. Your tastes will change too, so you may find you like something you previously hated. For instance, many smokers think burley is boring, but after a while they learn to appreciate it (or it might just not be for them).

Make sure you revisit blends every so often. If you truly hate them then no reason to revisit. But if you find something boring try it again after a while, you might be surprised.

Happy puffing

Spillproof likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Sounds like a decent mix.

Note that Early Morning Pipe can be smoked any time. I know a few folks that smoke it all day long.

Jussto likes this.
  4. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Sounds like a good starting point to me...

As noted before EMP can be smoked at any time of the day...

5. Zrab11

Zrab11 Member

I assumed that EMP could be smoked any time of day. Just thought it might taste best in the mornings.. Or might be kinda like port.. Where yes u can drink it any time but it's typically enjoyed as ur last glass of wine for the night.

Thanks.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Just noticed that you have Mellow Mack listed as an English and Virginia blend. It is most definitely an aromatic, much more so than Scottish Mixture.

7. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Ive been smoking since 2011 and im still trying to figure out what i like. At 1st i hated latakia and now it has grown on me. Also the internet is a major force for tad. before a smoker was stuck with what his local shop had but with the internet all blends are available to you with a click of a button.

Set aside a amount of money per month for trying out new blends and get a corn cob for trying out the blends.

8. Zrab11

Zrab11 Member

Have you had both before?

Would you recommend the scottish mixture or the Mellow Mack?

Any recommendations on an English Virginia blend you like?

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

An English Virginia hmmm... Well, let me help you out a bit.
    "English" is a catch-all for a wide variety of blends which typically include Oriental and Virginia tobacco's, with other "condiments."

English blends may include any and all of the following tobacco's: Turkish aka Oriental, Virginia, Latakia, "Cavendish," Burley, and Perique. Which is to say all of them. Different combinations of each result in very different blends.

I personally like "medium" (i.e. Dunhill London Mixture) to latakia-bomb (i.e. GLPease Odyssey) English blends.

The Frog Morton series put out by McClelland is quite popular and worth checking out, particularly as a relative newcomer. McClelland Virginia's have a distinct smell, and some would argue flavor, that is notable in most of their blends.

10. Zrab11

Zrab11 Member

Ok Spillproof, thanks for the explanation! Really good to know.

I've altered my choices a little

Peterson: Irish Whiskey
    Dunhill: My mixture 965
    Dunhill: Nightcap
    McClelland: Frog Morton Across the Pond

McClelland: Mellow Mack or Mac Baren: Scottish Blend?

Does that give good variety or are any pretty similar that i should switch one out?

11. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Personally I would switch out 965 for Early Morning Pipe and go with Mellow Mack over Scottish Blend. I think that will add greater variety.

12. Zrab11

Zrab11 Member

Alright,

I JUST placed my ORDER!! I'm so excited to have my own pipe now.

I got the Donegal Rocky (B10) P-Lip pipe by Peterson
    Dunhill: Early Morning pipe
    Dunhill: Nightcap
    McClelland: Frog Morton Across the Pond
    McClelland:Mellow Mack

Thanks so much on our your help for my first pipe and tabacco purchase!

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I would recommend McClelland 2000 over Mac Baren for an aromatic blend. And I would pick up a tin of FMOTT. You're probably going to love the Frog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.