1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Bent Knave

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by booji, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booji

booji Member

Bought a bent Knave yesterday. Didn't notice until I left the shop that this thing is going to be a bear to clean.
    Has no true hole in the stem for a pipe cleaner, a slit in the mouthpiece. The other end of the stem has a screwin at the mortice
    that is slotted for the smoke to roll through. This was a 'budget' pipe but I'm afraid it's money not well spent from a
    maintenance standpoint.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clean the stem?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Toothbrush?

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Also, what the heck is a bent Knave?

5. Yooperpipesmoker

Yooperpipesmoker Member

It sounds similar to a pipe i own. I asume that the thing with the slot is imbeaded into the tenon on the stem. I also asume it is metal, and from what i have learned from other fine folks, is that is a filter of sorts. Is it removable. Is should pull or unscrew out.

I have heard that alot of people take those out and use the pipe without the ''filter'' in pkace. I happen to be one of them. I dont like the restricrion' nor the fact that i cannot slide a pipe cleaner down to the bowl after i, finished.
    I hope my 2cents helps
    Matt

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Those "stingers" are supposed to cool the smoke. I just found that they restricted the draw and made my pipes gurgle.

7. booji

booji Member

It's a cheap Czech pipe.

8. booji

booji Member

Your assumptions are correct, Matt.
    Looks like I'm going to have to pull it when it comes time to clean it out.
    Don't think there's another way around it.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Thanks Booji.

10. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've only ever had one pipe smoke better with the stinger, and thats cause as far as i can tell the stinger didn't actually block anything, kinda a hollow archimedes screw type of thing, basically just kept the bowl from peeing in your mouth if you raise the bowl when you smoke.

just my 2 cents.

11. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

While I like the idea of odd parts for low price, this sounds overly complicated. If you don't mind my asking, what did this "cheap pipe" cost?

Did they tell you anything at the shop or are you like me, hem and haw looking it over and then take your chances?

Thanks.

12. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I would just pull or cut that thing off. It shouldn't hurt the smoking and will probably help if anything. To help with the slot (if it's too small) you can get a set of needle files and widen it out a bit.

13. booji

booji Member

Pulled the 'stinger' to clean the blasted thing.
    I think it smokes better with the stinger attached.

14. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

did the stinger restrict the draw? sometimes you need to put something in or you draw too much and it'll smoke too hot. stingers are funny like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.