1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bent Pipe PAD Satisfied...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jack Karneval, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

Hey all, having come back from vacation having not found a tobacco shop with a decent selection of pipes, I decided it was time to go to the ol' local Tobacconist and finally satisfy my need for a bent pipe.

What we have here today gentlemen is a Lorenzo Spitfire - Arena Black Sandblast, purchased from said Tobacconist for a measely $24.95. Overall I love the pipe, haven't smoked it yet though. One thing I've noticed is the stem smells kinda funny, but I think its the material, or the fact that the pipe has probably been sitting there for who knows how long. Thankfully, it doesn't taste like it smells. Anyway, here she is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Go back and have your tobacconist buff the stem for you . What you smell/taste is sulphur . The stem should be black and shinny . It's a nice pipe and I'm sure your gonna enjoy it but being a former tobacconist it kinda pisses me off to see a stem in that shape knowing you just bought it . Good God , the cigar boom and the internet have really changed the B&M standing these days it seems . Don't mean to rant but the guy should at least clean it for you . Or don't they even have a buffer ? F'ing cigar stores :D

3. blackpipe

blackpipe Member

that stem is ultra oxidized, it happened to me once ( I wasnt happy). Tell your tabacconist to clean it for you

4. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Agreed!!! Also, what's up with the bowl?
    The pics look like the bowl has been stained / shellacked inside. WTF???
    No wonder it smells. The B&M hasn't got a clue about pipes or they're just ripping you off!!!

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes the stem is oxidised, it really shouldn't be that green colour and that's what will be causing the smell. It could have been displayed in the wrong place for too long and the sunlight's probably done it. A buffing will sort it out. When I see them like that in a shop - I make an offer well below the asking price if it's a pipe I want; the good news is that it will restore fine.

Buffed up it'll make an attractive pipe and hope you enjoy it for many years,

Gerry

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I'm with Dover on this...if you haven't done so already you should sand that coating out of the inside of the bowl. Looks like its vanish and I don't think it'll taste very good, more like :yuk:

7. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

Hey Guys, thanks for the advice, I actually took it back to the guy and he gave me the choice of choosing another pipe. He had another Lorenzo there with the same stem, so I asked him if I could take a look at it and just take that instead, which is what I ended up doing. The stem was still oxidized, but nowhere near as much. I bought some pipe cleaner at the shop and put it on a paper towell and cleaned most of the oxidation off.

Oh, and all of you who commented on the bowl, that was my doing, I just lined it with honey is all :drink2:

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Way...way too much honey....way too much.....

Best not to use it at all if your going use too much.

Just Say'n

9. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

Thanks for the observation Jesla, but I must say that I only used one bead of honey to cover the bowl. I did take that picture with the flash of my camera, so the effect may be over-dramatized.

I will say though, she is a pleasure to smoke :puffy:

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I dunno, Jack...glad the proprietor gave you a second chance, but selling oxidized goods (oh, and the products to clean it) seems a bit, well, shady, dumb? If you are content, though, then case closed.

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

I suspected the flash might have been involved - I've heard the honey trick recommended but after 40 years at the game can I say "saliva works just as well"

Best to all and happy smoking

Gerry

12. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

Yeah YinYang, I kinda lost a little respect for the guy after this latest transaction. I can cut him a wee bit of slack because selling pipes isn't really his main attraction, his store is more about cigars. I dunno, next pipe I buy will probably be a Peterson, which I will order online, so till then, I'll just be visiting this guy for his fine selection of tobacco :puffy:

And, like you said, since it smokes fine, case closed.

13. Stoked

Stoked Member

I have yet to see an oxidized stem that cannot come out looking like almost new, with minimal time and effort, by using Brebbia "Pipe and mouthpiece polish". I even used it to clean up one of my Dad's never cleaned, sitting around for 30 years pipe stem. Great stuff, I highly recommend it.

And congrats on your Italian pipe! I love Italian briars. :eek:hyeah:

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Right...no biggie, really. I have several estate pipes that looked far worse...thing is, they don't now, thanks to a little intervention. When you can get a good smoking engine for cheap, used or new, a few minutes elbow grease is a non-factor. Enjoy your new acquisition, Jack!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.