Best American Va.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Hi there - Just wanted to get some opinions of the best American brand virginia tobacco. As some of you may have seen in a previous thread, I will soon be heading to the USA and am looking to stock up on tobacco whilst I'm there. I am a huge fan of Dunhill Flake (as in I like it a lot - not that I am huge). Slightly less keen on the FVF but still like it a fair amount. So the question is, is there a US-produced Va similar to GAF? What are people's recommendations for a good Va tobacco?

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I'm very fond of McClelland - Blackwoods Flake

albot9 likes this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

In my limited experience, G.L. Pease's Union Square is very similar to some of the heartier VAs from overseas. What I like about American VA is it's tendency to be a little different from that - bright tasting and sweet. For this, nobody beats McClelland. As you say you'll be in the USA soon, do your best to find McClelland's Christmas Cheer. It's quite different from the likes of FVF, Dunhill Flake, Orlik, etc., but it's very, very good in it's own right.

ATXPipe likes this.
  4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Also, depending on how long you'll be staying, where you'll be staying, and how rare shops that carry a decent selection of pipe stuff are in the US, you might actually think of placing an order with one of our excellent online vendors. Ask the hotel if such a thing would be possible, and go for it if you're going to be there long enough to still get it if it's a day or two late. This will open up a very large number of possibilities you might not have otherwise. Many cities only have one pipe shop, if that, and most shops with pipe stuff have high prices and poor selection.

5. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

So very true...

6. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

It looks like from one of your posts you may be visiting Tuscon, Arizona. Here's a link to the Old Pueblo Pipe Club. I bet with one email you'd know which stores would be worth stopping by. It looks like they have several listed on this page. http://www.jack-tompkins.com/Pipes/OPPC/

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

don't forget that - if you are thinking about coming back - you are only allowed to bring 250grams in - from a non-EU country!......and the little airport spaniels can sniff that McLelland ketchup at 100yds. :byg:
    OT

Ol Brokedik and shadow like this.
  8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

McClelland 5100.:puffy:

9. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

That's too bad. Makes it difficult to stock up.

10. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I imagine some of the american tobaccos must be available someplace in the EU?

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

C&D Opening Night is a good one. Overall, McClellands does the best job with virginia, IMHO.

Mington likes this.
  12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You may as well save your money, and do like I'm doing next week - take a trip across to Belgium or France....you can bring a van load back! - as long as it's for your own consumption. Bringing it back from the states could prove expensive......unless you got a 'mailing buddy' prepared to tell a few little 'fibs' on the form;)
    OT

shadow likes this.
  13. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I will be staying with my wife's parents for 3 weeks so an online purchase is very likely. We'll mainly be in Tucson, but we're spending a couple of days in New York at the start of the trip and a few days over Christmas in Montrose, CO. Well-stocked B&M's in all three places seem fairly thin on the ground.

14. buistd

buistd Sales Account

My wife is happy to take 8 ounces which leaves me free to take another 8. I will certainly bear in mind the possibility of bringing back tobacco from the EU on my next European adventure. My wife recently brought me back 7 ounces (just shy of 200 grams) from the States and it only cost her $20 (£12.80) which works out at £3.20 per 50 grams. Not bad compared to the £10 plus we normally pay! By the way OT - I've seen in another thread that you may have a wee stash of Carter Hall. Would you be willing to trade a bit for my 1792 - or was it the BCP that you were amazed at my inability to finish?

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I use CH mainly as a 'mixer', and the small amount I need comes via trades with friendly natives over the water - I'm sure some of them would be delighted to do the same for you....at the prospect of some 1792!
    OT:)

16. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

C&D's Yorktown is a great VA IMHO.

17. Albert

Albert Active Member

+1 on Blackwoods Flake

18. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'd recommend Union Square. IMHO,
    it's the best US Virginia out there. Not
    light and citrusy like GAF, but not doused
    in ketchup like McClellands (sorry McC fans!).
    Although, 5100 isn't bad either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.