Best Black Cav?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

So I scored a nice little estate pipe not too long ago, appears to be an old Lorenzo. Anyway, when I got it, it was infused with the unmistakable and wonderful ghost of black cavendish. Smelled just like my dad's old pipe. I'm not usually a black cav smoker but it smelled so good I had to run out to the local smoke shop to pick up a pouch. The stuff I got isn't too bad for an OTC, but it got me wondering, which manufacturer makes the best straight black cavendish? Anybody got a favorite they'd vouch for? Looks like most of the big boys have at least one or two bulk offerings and some even have some unblended black cav in tins.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Butera's Sweet Cavendish is superb.

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Most local B & M shops have a good black cav "house blend". You should also be able to buy it in bulk form from e-tailers. I would think that everything available would be about the same in quality except the big poly bags of glycol soaked Lane crapola sold in discount smoke shops and drug stores.

4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Smokers Pride. I know it's cheap, but it was and is my first love in the Toby world.

Happy Smoking
    Arty

5. Cobra

Cobra Member

I'll second that, price as good as it is doesn't enter into it. Possibly the best black cavendish out there. :puffy:

6. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

UH HUH!

I think it was like $16.00 for a 12oz bag. Something like that.

Mix in a little Cherry and PA and you've got one AMAZING blend!

YUM!
    Arty

7. ichabod

ichabod Member

Yet another to add to my 'to try' list...the scent of black cavendish brings me back and I love it. Any idea about the nicotine content in the butera?

I have some captain black that I don't really like all that much, smells great but doesn't taste all that great (doesn't really have a taste at all).

Anyone have an idea about the smoker's pride black cavendish nicotine content? Might be a contender for me also.

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I've seen posts speculating that Smoker's Pride and Walgreen's are the same thing in different bags. Can anybody verify whether Walgreen's black cav is different from SP black cav? I've never seen Smoker's Pride on shelves around here but I do have a local Walgreen's. I don't want to buy a half-pound of garbage from WGs though, even if it is twelve bucks.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

How about the various big-house bulks, like McC's VBC or one of the Stokkebye blacks? Or tins other than Butera's? I'd give Smoker's Pride a shot but I'm wondering if there's any really nice black cav leaf out there that doesn't have the oily/bitter taste some of the OTC stuff.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I suspect Butera's is tinned by McClelland. It's not strong in terms of nicotine, Ichabod. I can smoke it, so it's wimpy.

11. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

The nicotine content of Smokers Pride BC isn't too strong. I can smoke a plus sized bowl of it so, to quote Sasquatch "it's wimpy."

Yumness
    Arty

12. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

A local shop has a Black Cav blend which they call Campfire Blend. It smokes great and has a nice room note which reminds me of smores. I am not certain, but I believe it is a Lane Black Cav.

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

Funny you should mention that! I've become fond of mixing the Smoker's Pride Black and Cherry Cavs, 50/50 ratio. Really brings out the dark chocolate flavor hiding underneath each of them separately. Now I'll have to see what a little PA (or CH?) could do for it.

14. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I don't add very much of PA. 1 part PA, 3 parts cherry, 4 parts Black Cav. I'll tell ya what though, idk what the PA does to that blend, but it just does something nice. A few of my friends say it's the best thing they've ever smoked, and they've become somewhat versed in Toby. :) It's certainly my favourite blend.

Happy Smoking
    YUM
    Arty

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I tried a three-equal-parts blend right after I posted last night. Good stuff, but I see what you mean about not adding too much PA. The PA is neutral enough to not interfere with the Cav's flavor, but it does help resolve my only complaint with the BC/CC mix: its dampness. In fact, another member and I went back and forth about that in the "Favorite Drugstore Blends" thread in the Budget forum.

Later today I'll try a bowl with your ratios, and possibly with CH. Thanks for the tip!

16. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

You're welcome! I use Paladin Black Cherry in my blend, to be specific. Tastes awful on it's own, but Black cherry, and Black cav... sure why not. Anyway. I think you're right. The moisture thing might possibly be what it adds. In all honesty, I stumbled upon the mixture by "chance" one night. I had been fiddling around with mixing, and just said to myself, hey let's try this this and this. And it was amazing.

The End
    Arty

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think one of the best Black Cav blends has got to be IRC Buttered Rum . It burns dry and super cool ... and the flavor and aroma to me is just unreal . Argosy was a stellar Black Cav as well . Though I havent had it in some time , Plantas Danish Black Vanilla is really killer and they have a flake version that I'd like to try ... A Burley aromatic flake .. different / cool

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Lane BCA, most tobacco shops that carry the Lane bulks will have this along with 1Q and RLP-6, two other very popular Lane bulk blends.

19. Redone

Redone Member

I also give big thumbs up to Smokers pride BC. The reviews online speak for themselves as does the product. I bought two diffrent custom shop BC's and put them up against it and SP BC tasted as good if not better than both and I think the others were Lane's BC anyhow. I mixed it with the SP cherry and its a great smoke but went one step further. A B&M had a good grade Latakia and I bought 4 ozs and cut it with SP BC I came up with a blend I call "Blacknight" It is an awsome lat/BC mix, creamy,burns to the bottom of the bowel with no relights, never hot,never bites. A great smoke and almost as good as Bukin Sen a fav of mine and sure as heck better then Presby mix (blah) Want my advice dont waste your money on other BC. Go get Smokers Pride.

20. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Boswell's BlackJack (however it is not on the website but just ask for it), Boswell's Paradise, Pipeworks & Wilke Mettowee, and Fader's Point IV. These are all really nice blends and I use each for blending and to tame down some really strong blends.
    God Bless!!! Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.