1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Best choices for Vanilla?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Smithy, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithy

Smithy Member

Here is the situation. My Father and I are heading to Newburgh, Indiana in a little less than 3 weeks for my Niece's wedding. My dad used to smoke a pipe years ago but has not for some time now. For the last few years any time we got together I would bring a few cigars and we would sit around and pass the time. He has said more than once that he misses smoking a pipe and loved the Vanilla flavor specifically. With this trip we will have lots of time to chat and smoke a few pipes. I have my eyes on a briar for him (that is the easy part) but I am looking for some suggestions and opinions on the tobacco for the ride. I would just ask him what he smoked but this will be a surprise for him and I don't want to give it away.

I read some reviews and done research but I would much rather hear what the PSF community has to say. have been smoking some Mac Baren Vanilla Creme and have a tin of Bob's Chocolate Flake to bring but I am looking to add more to the stockpile so any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

I like Sweet Vanilla Honeydew from Dan tobacco. It's a little different from you run of the mill vanilla as it is made with all VA instead of Cavendish.

Stormy and Smithy like this.
  3. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

Lane 1Q
    Prince Albert Soft Vanilla

Smithy likes this.
  4. Smithy

Smithy Member

Thanks for the info!

:)

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Lane 1Q

Smithy likes this.
  6. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

I agree with dbt13. Sweet Vanilla Honeydew is very good.

OrganizdMadman and Smithy like this.
  7. Smithy

Smithy Member

Sounds good. I think I will grab some of both and that should do it. Thanks!

8. mattia76

mattia76 Member

Screw the Q!!!!
    It will NOT taste nearly as good as it smells. And it will leave your pipe smelling bad if you smoke enough in there.

Go for Trout Stream from PipesandCigars.com
    Russ told me they use a TON of vanilla in it.
    It is a fantastic all day smoke that many members of my pipe club and customers and friends of mine enjoy.

Smithy and Yankee Bill like this.
  9. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Trout Stream is yummy. One of the few aros that I like.
    You might also want to look at pipes & cigars in their sampler section. IIRC, they have a samler pack of 4 or 6 different vanilla blends. You and your Dad could try them all & compare notes.

Smithy likes this.
  10. BigG

BigG Member

+1 for Trout Stream & Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Great stuff.
    I'd also consider Pipeworks & Wilke (vtpipes.com) Blend #191

Smithy likes this.
  11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

When all else fails... Captain Black White, it's proven, tried and tested. Chances are if your Dad smoked a pipe years ago and remembers he liked vanilla he has most probably smoked Captain Black in the past.

12. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

I have yet to find a vanilla aro that I was satisfied with. The taste never lives up to the smell, and the tobacco usually doesn't come through. I have tried Mac Baren, Smoker's Pride, Gatlinburlier's Cade's Cove Cavendish, and others. If you have plenty of Bob's Chocolate Flake, I would stick with that. It's one of my favorite smokes.

Smithy likes this.
  13. Marker

Marker Active Member

I make my own vanilla blend for the reasons stated. I like a little vanilla but not a lot. Still want to taste the tobacco and have it burn well. Not leaving an overpowering room note.

A subtle vanilla room note with a great burn and high quality is Frog Morton on the town. I smoke that in a churchwarden and everyone that sits around me loves the subtle but vanilla type room note.

Smithy likes this.
  14. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Try Mac Baren Vanilla Flake (NOT the Cream) or SG Celtic Talisman (ok it has some cherry but vanilla as well).

Smithy likes this.
  15. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

McClelland TQ, newminster rich vanilla, PS sweet vanilla, lane 1q, lane BCA, lane rlp6, swra...

cobbsmoker and Smithy like this.
  16. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Well we'll see. Just got the Vanilla Cream today. I always smoke Mac Baren in a cob, so the bite should not be overwhelming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.