1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

best falcon bowl

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Luckistrykes, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

Which is the best, in your opinion and why? i think i'm gonna get a falcon international off ebay, but am really not sure which bowl to go with, i like the looks of the algiers bowl, do any of them smoke particularly well?? on a side note what are the positive and negatives about the falcons? anything i should be worried about.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Calling Gerry...come in Gerry :velho: ;)

3. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Quick! Flash the Falcon Signal in the direction of Scotland. I daydream about them but there's an expert on board. I suspect the answer about finding the right bowl is that there's no wrong answer.

4. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

that's funny stuff :velho:

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Can't comment on bowl shapes/functionality, but a Falcon is ideally suited for a daily, i.e. repeated, puffer. I essentially abuse the snot out of mine, and it doesn't flinch. Five bowls of heavily cased aro's in one day? Not a problem...so long as you clean it out, of course. (I don't do this, but I know my Falcon could handle it.) Something about it's design makes it an ideal candidate for a 'One Pipe Man' type of pipe. Thing is...it's ugggh-leee. Get past that, and you have a tank of a burner.

I only have one, but have(even today) shopped around on flea-bay for a couple more. Can't recommend it for 'aesthetics', but it's worth a few duckets to own.

Besides looks, the only negative I know of involves a comment I think I saw here...apparently, an excessively cold pipe will freeze the 'liquid' in the stem.

-Kyle

6. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

they are ugly arn't they. lol, i don't think the internationals are toooooo bad looking. but they do look durable as hell, i recently stepped on and broke one of my favorite pipes. it sucked, and while looking into getting it fixed i realised that for the less than the cost of that i could get a new pipe. now my biggest dilema is straight or bent, and what bowl... i can't decide. and it's driving me crazy :old:

7. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

If your buying new, what ever you find attractive. If its estate, look at it carefully. I have four stems and 8 bowls. I don't remember the time frame, but for a short period falcon coated and waxed there bowls very heavily. I have three of these. They shine like new diamond plate, but I find they smoke hotter then I can handle.Even the rustic ones. I perfer the rustics ones though, good grip and IMHO smoke a bit cooler. II have an algiers bowel I like. Hold a good amount of tobacco. If you purchase one and find you don't like the bowl, let me know. We might be able to work something out.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

...and so as dawn breaks in Bonnie Scotland ( well Northumberland, this week actually ) the Old Falcon hears the bugle summoning him to duty once more, emerges from his lair nursing the hangover he got when out with his Evil Companions the night before, casts a jaundiced glance at the world...and forgets what he was going to say!

Actually most Falcon bowls work pretty fine with most tobaccos - the moister the tobacco the better the Falcon'll handle them - that's why they were and are so popular in this country where we worry about a drought if it doesn't rain at least twice a day.

Your Algiers, Plymouth, and Dover will handle anything and smoke it coolly. I feel Bulldog and Billiard are a bit thinner in the bowl walls and need slower smoking. Not everyone gets to grips with the Apple - even a guy who's smoked them as long as I have, found he couldn't get it to light or smoke satisfactorily for him. Don't know why - it's one of my favoutite shapes and as long as you spread the flame evenly over the tobacco it behaves just fine.

It might just be me, but any time I've ever been out on the hills in rain or mist my rustic Dublin bowl ( straight pot ) seemed to pick up moisture from the air and misbehave - the smooth never did it oddly enough.

I think my "Some Notes on the Falcon Pipe" is still on this board - it's deliberately not copyright - do take a copy if you find it useful,

Best to all and Happy Smoking

Gerry

9. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

your info on falcons was an extremely valuable tool in my descision, i don't think i could have done it with out it. in the end i when with a straight international smooth algiers bowl. thanks again for all the help deciding... coming all the way from the UK so now i just have to play the waiting game... this is the part that really sucks. well it will give me some time to figure out what to break it in with

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Again,

The Algiers is about the best all-rounder you can get I think.

New Falcons can taste evil - even worse than burning in a new cob and those around you can be treated to the aroma of a pine camp fire whether they like it or not. This year I've had to burn in 8 new Falcons (my birthday set) and I found smoking 5 Borthers in them for the first day helped considerably. It cut down the new taste dramatically and being a burley it helped form the initial carbon layer quickly - after doing this I smoked a plain virginia for the rest of the week and that was them off to a great start.

Again with a new Falcon you'll probably find that as the bowl absorbs moisture the draw won't be so free - just pare or sand around the smokehole at the base of the bowl and "normal service will be resumed"

Happy smoking

Gerry

11. Gig

Gig Member

I own and smoke 8 x Falcons all with different size bowls and finishes and they all smoke great. I find that the smaller bowed pipes do definitely concentrate the flavours more :thumbsu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.