1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Best pipe for sampling tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by powell0892, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Just curious what you guys think I hate to be putting all sorts of who knows what in my usual pipes. Any thoughts on a meer lined pipe for this? thanks for the help!
  2. Abe Lincon

Abe Lincon Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Cobs, "They are the dirty little ****s of the pipe world" cant remember who said that, but its the best description for them.
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    A few cobs cover a lot of ground for $15.

Personally though, I smoke everything new through a meer to really see what it's about; and I almost always travel with a meer (as now - Hello Houston!) because my mmers have stout cases and one pipe handles whatever I fancy that day. Long story, discussed elsewhere, about how to pick a good meer. If you decide to go clay, educate yourself and don't go underpriced or undersized. Get a good one right outta the box and it will serve you well at least until you drop it..
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Believe me, you will drop your pipe(s)! Or somebody will help you drop them. Things to consider........ For sampling? Cobz! Actually anything you wanna smoke the "unknown" or "think you know it" (by the tobacco makeup........most of the times it's "safe") but sometimes you get something that you absolutely don't like at all and it ghosts your or one of your favs. So, to be safe, a cob..........or a meer! I use either, depending on the smoke setting. A meer if I'm in a controlled area where I can just sit and relax and smoke. If I'm out in the garden with my "little 3 in 1" (thanks Tas/Rolf!, :) ) I'll take a cob. If it gets wet, drops to the ground, anything, it's no biggie. I take that back, dropped a CCSS Redhead in a puddle of compost tea.....Yikkkkk! So, that was a "recycle to landfill" pipe! Still "no biggie"!

What Moo said, "$15 buys a lot of cobs". +1 :goodjob:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Meer is best , cobs are real good .. or keep a briar clean w/out a cake and it will do .
  6. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Now I understand why I especially like my "Tambolaka" in my small meerschaum; in this meerschaum I can really taste and enjoy this potent tobacco. :thumb:
  7. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Aug 19, 2010
    LOL Puff, now that I've finished my gardening for the day my thoughts gravitated to meers. I hadn't used mine and decided to give it ago with some PS no1 black. I was very impressed with how the meer does not add any flavor. I then tried some chocolate blend with no leftovers from the no1 black. Meers are good me thinks. So now I'm thinking of a meer lined bowl for the falcon, that way I can have the smoking ease of the meer with some durability if it were to be dropped in say the garden for instance.
    I've been meered.
  8. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I would say a meer or a clay. Most clay pipes have a small bowl which is perfect for getting a "feel" for a tobacco..just be careful with clays.
  9. alexleonardme

alexleonardme New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    I kind of want a pipe now.
  10. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Jun 26, 2010

OK, I'll bite. What's a CCSS Redhead?
  11. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I haven't tried a meer but cobs are good, the MM pony express and mini cob both have small bowls and are unfiltered so I use them.
  12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.