1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Best type of pipe for aro's, if there is such a thing?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LutzSpearo, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

For those of you who like to smoke aro's, what type of pipe/size bowl have you found to work best? I've read with flakes, some people prefer certain size bowls, and am wondering if there is a prevailing opinion on the subject in regard to aromatics. Short and wide, tall and narrow, etc.? Just curious.

2. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

I smoke aromatics as well as Virginias and English blends. My pipes are usually dedicated to certain blends. I am not a fan of large pipes, favoring medium size bowls for my blends. One exception is a medium Savinelli Oom Paul. After many years of smoking I find the subtle flavors of some aromatics to be enhanced when they are smoked in the same pipe. Blends which are very mild offer nothing to me and I avoid them. Just my $.02 and I hope this helps.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I can't tell any difference! - but do find that a meerschaum usually gets the best out of anything :)
    OT

jpberg, Jussto and ruffinogold like this.
  4. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thanks for the replies! I also prefer medium-size bowls, I love my bent apples for example. However, I read that larger bowls serve aromatics well, and am considering picking up a 920KS model from Savinelli (it's a bent dublin) with the idea it would be great for when I want to smoke aromatic blends. Plus it's a cool pipe shape and I love Savs : )

5. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

For me--although I love massive sized pipes--I DO NOT smoke aromatics in them. Also in an aromatic tobacco I like a milder aromatic that isn't laiden with so much stuff the pipe gets all goopy. For these I like a pipe in about a bowl size of 3-4 nominally speaking. Also I like to NOT over fire the tobacco during the initial light. Low heat and gentle puffs allow the tobacco NOT to over heat persay and end up with the dreaded no flavor thing going on. Once that happens to your aromatics--all you have left is hot smoke, and all the flavor gone from over puffing and just burning up the tobacco.
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy the aromatics.:bing:

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

MM cobs. That, or any pipe that's dishwasher-safe.

7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I just spit a mouth full of ice tea all over my monitor and keyboard-----:laff:

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

This. Real big pipes will kind of muddy up an aromatic, and real small pipes might be hard to hit the "zone" with, so I think a medium bowl, 1 1/4" deep by about 3/4" wide works good.

9. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thanks all for the replies. I can understand the mentality behind the medium size bowl over the large bowl. The pipe I'm looking at (Sav Caramella 920KS) is 3/4" wide, but is 1 1/2" deep... is that too deep? I like the style of this pipe, but obviously want it to smoke the aromatics well. Anyone familiar with Savs are welcome to offer a style number they would recommend (ie: 626, 920, etc.) All the advice is greatly appreciated.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You don't have to fill it to the top. This is one of those funny secrets - people say they don't want a big pipe because they don't want to smoke for 2.5 hours, but you don't have to pack a pipe full.

That 920 looks terrific to me, and if the chamber is tapered as I suspect it is, it will take a wad of even goopy tobacco really really well.

surlysoul, psquared and Thuber88 like this.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Tobaccopipes.com has about 50,000 Savinellis in stock too; I was just looking at a 622 and trying to figure out why I need one. :)

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wheres the simile of the nose in the air ? Poor Moo , as long as you've been around , you still haven't gotten the Aromatics :rolleyes: ... in my mind , I'm taking what Moo said and I hear it in Eeyores voice :xd:
    I swear , I am my own entertainment

I dig Aromatics , cause I'm a well rounded pipe smoker , and I find that the ribbon cuts in a bigger pipe is really good . Like SWRA as an example ... in a big billiard , it just sings even more ! Beyond that , unless it's a thick chunk cut , which doesn't work as well in a small bowl , I haven't found much difference .

Smokey likes this.
  13. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I love TobaccoPipes.com. Their customer service has been incredible, personal and flexible. And yes, a huge selection of Savinellis! Whenever they get the tobacco portion of the website up and running, I hope they have a similarly huge selection.

Anyway, I did just order the Caramella 920KS in the smooth finish, from TobaccoPipes.com. Ben, who works there, confirmed its a conical shaped bowl and sent me a photo. I'm looking forward to getting it. The chamber dimensions are smaller (according to their website) than most other Sav 920KS models, I wonder why.

Anyway, when I get it in a couple weeks I'll fire it off and let you guys know how it goes. Now I just have to decide which of my aro's to try in it first! Hmmm....

14. Mister Moo

That's harsh, man. The Eeyore thing, not the aromatic tobacco thing. Well both, if you include Stanwell Melange. I smoked lots of aromatics. Most left me convinced there is a perfectly good reason for Brylon pipes.

Well, that's not entirely true. I AM one of you, sort of. I do enjoy two aros - one coffee-flavored and the other topped heavily with Grand Marnier; both really exquisite in cobs and they get nothing but smiles from nearby air-breathers.

ruffinogold, jpberg and psquared like this.
  15. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Name names man. I need something to please SWMBO.

Mister Moo and jpberg like this.
  16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Old Ironsides. Trust me on this. It'll impress the hell out of her.

To the OP, I don't think it matters a lick what pipe you smoke aromatics in. I do agree with Mr. Bannard that you can smoke too much at a sitting, and lose the essence of the blend.

17. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

I bet. You'd have me sleeping in the barn with the cats.

18. Mister Moo

I was told by the blender/retailer it was discontinued but it was showing up in their stores up to last year. I bought a bunch of it, just in case. :)

Old Virginia Tobacco Company: Manassas (Grand Marnier) and Gettysburg (coffee).

psquared likes this.
  19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'd like to try a Grand Marnier ... Said in Chris Robin voice

20. Mister Moo

I'll bet you would. :loser:

psquared and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.