1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Best Value in the Peterson Lineup

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Fbones24, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I recently acquired two Petersons, one a Tankard and the other an Aran 80s. I am very impressed with the fit, finish and feel of these Petersons. I think they are a cut above my other pipes in their similar price brackets (Stanwell, Nording, Sav).

I was looking at purchasing another Pete and I wanted to know where the value is with Petersons.

Is it the Aran line, the Donegal line, the Kildare line?

I love the amber stem on the Rosslares...is it worth the step up in price?

If I'm getting a Pete, are the system pipes the best value?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I think the Donegal Rocky is a great line. I'm also impressed with the sub-$100 sandblasts that smokingpipes.com has exclusively. The new Kapet line is absolutely worth a look as well.

3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

A general preference is to steer clear of the extra shiny finish (probably acrylic) in some of their lines - Killarney and Kinsale come immediately to mind. I've not had problems myself, but some feel it has a tendency to overheat. Rustic versions don't seem to have that, though, just the smooth ones.

Beyond that... I love the Wicklow (a SP exclusive sandblasted line that they occasionally get in). Donegal is popular but I don't care for Peterson's rustication myself. Aran is very standard, too. I think the 2012 St Patricks is a great finish and it's not much more.

I don't know that I'd describe a system as an exceptional value, but it is a fine line of pipes in all finishes. Certainly worth your investment.

4. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I like the Rosslares--I have gifted one to my little pipe smoking buddy---I had began smoking it, and got a good start breaking it in. I then cleaned the pipe without disturbing the beginning of the cake build up. I miss that pipe, but the new owner loves it. It had great balance, and from word go--it smoked well.

Fbones24 likes this.
  5. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I have several Petersons and some of the same shape in several lines that they offer. I have not found that the smoking quality is any better in one line and not the other. If I were you I would pick the one that is most visually pleasing to you.

Normally the price difference between lines is for ornamental items. Silver instead of Nickel or no metal at all. Usually their smooth pipes are more expensive than their rusticated lines because I think that the rusticated ones probably had a flaw or something that negated them from being a smooth. I prefer the Kildare line but it is just because of the finish. That is what I like but it smokes the same as my other ones.

David Emond and ruffinogold like this.
  6. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I have a fairly broad range of Petersons. Two Kildares are probably the best bang for the buck. I only have one rusticated deluxe and it's been a good pipe for years, so if there are hidden flaws they don't affect how the pipe performs. The rest of mine are smooth finishes. I did notice that the Rosslare was a good even smoke more quickly than my Irish Harp or Tyrone of the same shape and the three are purchases within the past 6 months so variances in manufacturing over time shouldn't account for the differences.

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've got a Shannon 80s that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. It smokes just fine now, although it probably took longer than any other pipe I've had to break in.

Vaquero and Stormy like this.
  8. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

This.

I've honestly never owned any Peterson besides a System pipe (except a St. Patty's Day that I had for a month or two and traded away), and unless I get gifted one or something, I probably never will. My opinion is that the System engineering works quite well, and it's worth having a few of them. They're fantastic for VA, and especially VA flakes. They really do give a nice, dry smoke. The rest of Peterson's pipes are fine, but the System pipes are what made Peterson famous, and for good reason. So my overall opinion (because I know you're all on the edge of your seat for it) is that the System pipes are the absolute best reason to own a Peterson. Anything else is just a pipe, but the System is why Peterson is unique.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

When I think of Peterson , I think of a system pipe ... everybody should have one :th1: .. I lost mine a few years ago and havent replaced it . I want the B42 system . I still have may Emerald Rustic of almost the same shape .

David Emond likes this.
  10. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Get a mark twain from the bay if it doesnt surpass 150$ I have a system pipe 312 that was one of my 1st pipes and it smokes great.

If you like the tankard, maybe you would like one of their churchwardens ? the dublin churchwarden is very nice.

11. Goat

Goat Active Member

Just checked this out and now I'm gunna have to get me one of those sandblasted rhodessians. Thanks alot.:doh:

Tony Malerich and Fbones24 like this.
  12. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Well thanks for all of the feedback. I'm leaning towards a system but will probably see if I could work out a trade with someone or pick one up used.

We'll see how long I last before I cave and buy one from SP. :xd:

13. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

I have an aran 80s. Hands down my fav pipe. Next to no gurgle if i pack it right. Its finish is matte yet beautiful tho the stamping on mine is kinda assed up but i love those lil quirks. Its also a plip and i can truly say i love a plip. I will prolly end up with many more petes

Monkeyshine likes this.
  14. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Keep an eye out on eBay for system pipes. I just picked up my 3rd. If your patient, you can get one for under $40 (or 3)

15. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Check out ebay. I just picked this one up.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251168003893?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#

The price was right and the pipe was in excellent shape. I am very happy with it and it becoming one of my favorites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.