1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Better smoke at steeper angle?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by afiaowo, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Since I got my meer (1/2 bent) I’ve been smoking it so that the bowl is level. I got a little lazy last night and held the pipe so the stem entered my mouth horizontally and the pipe was closer to my chin.

Since doing this I’ve noticed that the pipe draws better and therefore burns much better.

It’s not as though I didn’t make a seal on the stem the way I was smoking before. I can only thing that the shape of the bowl must’ve been engendered to burn better at an angle.

Do pipe makers do such a thing or am I all wet?

Thanks all.

2. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I have a straight billiard Parker that must have been drilled poorly. When I smoke it normally I get gurgle, however if I tilt the pipe about 45 degrees and draw the gurgle goes away. As one can expect I rarely go with that pipe. Maybe a pipe carver could explain this phenomenon.

3. buistd

buistd Active Member

You will probably find that when you smoke at an angle, moisture in the stem does not build up and cause a gurgle. By smoking it "flat" you are allowing moisture to pool in the stem and at the end of the tenon leading to gurgle. You can cure this by funneling the tenon end with a needle file or cruder methods if you're unconcerned about it looking pretty.
    I own 4 Parkers and they are all drilled excellently. Any gurgle I get is stem related.

4. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Yes i do that. Isn't call that technique "air smoking" ?

5. buistd

buistd Active Member

I have no idea. It's all smoking to me!

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Not sure about how the pipe will burn or perform but the taste will be different if you aim the smoke at the roof of your mouth and away from your tongue. That wasn't the point of the Peterson P-lip, but it's a side benefit (or detriment). I noticed some blends taste better when smoked in this manner. Some worse.

7. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Try sitting at 45 degrees, with your eyes closed. Works for this guy.
    [​IMG]

8. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

The reason I thought there was an issue is because I have several quality billiards, and a couple of Canadians and none of them gurgle, so I ruled out technique. I assumed it was the way it was drilled but wasn't completely sure. Now that I think about it I believe the Parker had a stinger I removed. Could that be an issue?

9. buistd

buistd Active Member

Removing the stinger is probably not the culprit. It is probably the draft hole in the stem being too narrow at the tenon end.

10. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

So if I pulled the stem off and hand drilled the tenon end a little wider, it might eliminate the gurgle?

11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I've enlarged the diameter of several stems that had a "gurgle" problem. To tell if your having a problem with condensation forming at the opening of the tenon, insert a pipe cleaner to the end of the stem. If the problem goes away, increasing the diameter of the hole in the tenon will probably help. I use a set of numbered drill bits and increase the diameter in steps.

12. buistd

buistd Active Member

If you have a way of getting rid of the step between the larger diameter you just drilled and the original diameter that will help too. The idea is to get as few places as possible for the smoke/moisture to catch. The smoother the passage of smoke, the less chance there is for condensation.

13. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

I find that aiming the stem of the pipe, especially a straight one at the roof of my mouth seems to improve both draw and flavour.

I guess I should get a P-lip, but do they make meers with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.