1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

big is better (seemingly)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by esteban, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esteban

esteban Active Member

Among my best smokers, I have noticed that every time I reach for a pot, I get a great smoke. I think the wider bowl diameter combined with a generous shank thickness and large draft hole creates an easy draw and cooler smoke. Dont like the pot shape particularly, but ultimate ease of puffin makes me go back tome and time again...... I think the pot shape is not too popular, hence a huge amount for sale at ridiculously low prices. latesy is Goodrich "meerdri", wih a meerschaum plug on the bottom for 11$ on the Bay. Smokes better than my used mint Charatan. Well, mint except for misdrilled bore hole. I swear some of the old klunkers had a lot goin for them. Maybe denser briar on many of them.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pots are ugly , mostly . They give a newbie a tuff time in getting the entire bowl lit . The trick for the lighting is focusing on the edges and sweeping over the middle . That aside , for the rest of us who dont care about looking fancy ... the Pot shape is the limit . I'd smoke SWR type cuts and ribbon cuts in mine . I never bothered w/ flakes untill last year when I put some PS LTF in one . It was a stellar smoke . They are my shape of choice anymore and I own half a dozen . Maddis made one that has a small chamber and is really a trip . I never had a small chamber one . Yup , Pots rock . The Billiard looks alittle more refine and I have a bunch of them . Always lookin for " pretty " pots ! This one is my favorite ... Whitehall Saratoga

[​IMG]

esteban likes this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Pots are one of my fav shapes. They are really good for newbies because the thick walls resist getting hot.

snowman, Lestrade and ruffinogold like this.
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm with y'all...including the ugly part. If it wasn't for some lucky ebay nabs, I still wouldn't have thought to try them.

5. esteban

esteban Active Member

I luv whitehalls,especially my meer lined. After getting the wole bowl lit and engaged a little, I take a tool and turn the baccy over. Nice saratoga.

6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Big pipes are far different than smaller when it comes to smoking. I DO NOT AGREE about the ugly part. I do however agree about understanding getting the pipe lit. Also large pipes once broke in stay lit--at least for me, and seem to almost smoke themselves. They burn cooler, and bring out things like natural sugars that I DO NOT NOTE in smaller pipes. I KNOW BIG PIPES----I have some big ones. For instance a Boswell Grizzly does things with tobacco that NO OTHER PIPE will do. Things like MUCH cooler smoke---letting the pipe just smolder all on its own with a lower heat----flavors in tobacco I NEVER tasted until it was in a much larger bowl. THE THING IS---bigger pipes with a pot shape require an understanding--perhaps experience in pipe smoking--I don't know how to totally describe it, but I will take a HUGE pipe for my sit down smoking sessions over small ANY DAY.

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Pots are a shape everyone should have a least one of.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Who says pots are ugly? Both Peterson and Stanwell make some real lookers that should smoke just great as well!

Nice Pete:
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=92397
    Nice Stan (though I think I notice a couple very small fills):
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=86359

Now, when it comes to just the shape of the chamber being broad and shallow, a prince or even an author can often make a more elegant looking pipe...but pots are still great. Give credit where credit's due, there are some good looking pots out there! :puffy:

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.