1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Big pipes (current production) for x < $100?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by bubbagump, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I like my Baronet (by Savinelli) 619EX. It has a BIG chamber and smokes great. My Baronet was only ~$55, which is a hell of a deal for that pipe. What else is out there that is as big (if not larger) and in the same price range? I've seen the Savinelli Hercules line. The issue (if you want to call it that) is that the only design I'm interested in is the 619EX (would be the same design as my Baronet...just brown, instead of black).

Rather than buy a pipe that's pretty much identical, I'd like to see what else is out there. I want a pipe that's at least 1/2 bent. I also have a thing for sitters/volcanos. Thanks.:toast:

2. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

Mario Grandi's usually go for around $60-$80 and tend to be on the large side. They're the "budget" line of Aldo Pierlugi (spelling?). The only problem is they also tend to come in odd shapes/finishes but you can find some really nice conventional pipes as well. They sell exclusively on Ebay.

dBear likes this.
  3. bubbagump

Thanks . I generally try to work in a pipe/tobacco order together to take advantage of the free shipping. I haven't done one yet this month.:eek: :xd:

4. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

If you want a large pipe you could always try to get your hands on a Boswell Magnum :rofl:

Russell Hartman and bubbagump like this.
  5. bubbagump

If I had the $$$....I would already own one.:ohyh: Recent home improvement projects have gotten in the way of my PAD/TAD.:mad:

AussieTX likes this.
  6. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Try Mr. Brog's "Lumberjack" pipe. You can get them from amazon for around 70 dollars. The description says they sport a 3" deep bowl.

bubbagump and dBear like this.
  7. bubbagump

dBear likes this.
  8. bubbagump

I went ahead and ordered one of those big/ridiculous things.:xd: Looking at the detailed pictures...it looks like the exact chamber width is one and 1/8".

I'm curious to see what the actual depth is. It's clearly not 3" and maybe not even 2.75". Regardless...at 1 1/8" x 2.6"....I should be able to blow through a tub of SWRA and/or CH in short order.

I might reserve that kind of stuff (zero goop) for this pipe, as I'm betting it will be a complete PITA to clean out the bottom of the bowl.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

It was already said about a big Boswell and they are not in the sub $100 range.
    I like huge pipes. They are fun when you have some time on your hands to enjoy them.

10. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Coastie just traded me a Leonessa Briosa which is now my biggest bowled, widest draw pipe. I like it a lot.

11. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Is that Lumberjack pipe made of briar? The grain looks....different :cfsd:

I was going to suggest a Savinelli. I think the shape numbers with KS or EX are the big ones.

I like Dr Grabow Big Pipes, too. They're not huge, but they're on the large side for sure.

Or a Missouri Meerschaum General :th1:

dBear and bubbagump like this.
  12. bubbagump

No. Mr. Brog makes most of their pipes out of pear wood. Looking around...it sounds like they hold up (only time will tell though).

Yup. I've got one (the Baronet). They're good pipes.

13. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

I love my Savinelli Hercules half bent pot! Think I paid like 70 bucks for it.

dBear and bubbagump like this.
  14. bubbagump

Yup. The Baronet's (same thing, different label) are even cheaper. My only regret with mine ($55), is that I didn't buy a second one. It would have been cool to send it off and have a churchwarden stem made for it.

15. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

Nice! Try clenching that baby!

bubbagump likes this.
  16. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 Member

For inexpensive but big pipes, another vote for another Sav KS or EX (I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd find another shape you like :) ). Also, another vote for Mario Grandi. I have four, and while they aren't my favorite (and there were some minor corners cut to get the price), they are good pipes for the price (none of the corners affect the smoking characteristics), and some of them are huge. Other options if you are still looking for more big pipes are the MM General and MacArthur corn cobs.

Definitely looks like a nice pipe, and pear wood root sounds interesting. I'd love to hear what you think of yours once you've smoked it a few times. I may be able to be convinced to buy one myself.

bubbagump likes this.
  17. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Big pipe, wide and deep bowl, smokes great and is very comfortable in the hand. This is a hand made by a gentleman named Eric Rein from Kansas.

[​IMG]

Summit and bubbagump like this.
  18. bubbagump

My blunt object/weapon...I mean pipe...should arrive today.:D

19. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Hope you enjoy it very much. I gotta say once more--I love big pipes.
    I guess as long as the pipe isn't so big people think I'm smoking pipe tobacco in a saxaphone.:byg:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.