1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

BIG Pipes Vs Small pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Polymoog, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

Most of my pipes are of average or possibly smaller size but i purchased an Amphora Milos from Ebay and the chamber is HUGE!!
    Im smoking it for the first time right now and it might be my imagination but does a larger pipe smoke more evenly and smoother than a smaller one?
    im currently one hour in and about nearly half way so thats a 2.5 hour smoke probably!
    ist it small pipes for quick smokes and bigger pipes for long smokes or im i missing something?
    my pipe smoking education yearns for the next "lesson"
    what do you guys think?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm biased towards large pipes, and I think it's all a matter of preference anyway.

My position is that a larger pipe filled with tobacco allows that tobacco to develop better than a small pipe. As a result, the smoke is richer, fuller and more specified. The experience is more fulfilling. In a small pipe, by the time the tobacco has fully developed, there's nothing left but dottle.

As for quick smokes, less tobacco but still a large pipe is the way I roll.

Again, there is no science behind my opinion. It could be nothing more than the fact that a large pipe allows me to relax more, as it takes me awhile to wind down. It could be my stupid fat fingers simply don't work well with smaller pinches of tobacco. It could be I'm a grumpy old guy that simply wants to impose my will. It could be overcompensation for having a small... uh... wallet!

In other words, if a smaller or larger pipe works for you is a "lesson" you must teach yourself. ;)

nesta, jpberg, Polymoog and 1 other person like this.
  3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

my pipes are all small, I will get back to you when I can get a much desired larger one.

4. dmkerr

Let Glenn make you one of his special pipes! It's plenty big and I'd bet it's pretty darned affordable! :ohyh:

MacNutz likes this.
  5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

excuse my ignorance but who is Glenn? I have trouble remembering my own name these days.

6. Iain

Iain Active Member

I like the smaller pipes only because I tend to get carried away and puff too much resulting in the bottom of a larger pipe turning sour, so I get better flavour from smaller pipes, just have to fill up more often.

7. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I can't smoke a straight Va in a group 6 because I get a bowl that lasts 2+ hours and my attention span is like 90 minutes.

I smoke group 4 and 5s for straight Va's, group 6s for Lat blend and ODAs for Burley.

phinz and Artistik like this.
  8. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

Wow, my heads spinning a bit now and my wifes gone to bed and left me to it and im only half way through, i think ive btten off more than i chew here !

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have many pipes--I use my smaller stuff for work.NOW----on my time I prefer large, and even HUGE pipes. I have a series of pipes to include a Boswell Grizzley that I smoke when time allows. SASQUATCH can provide some insight into the larger pipes kinda smoking by themselves. I like the larger bowls with certain tobaccos as once lit---they tend to simply stay lit---subtle fire in the bowl---the heat, kin of sipping at the pipe---the natural sugars etc. in some tobaccos seems to come out as the pipe heats up--ON ITS OWN. I cannot explain the whole reason, or experience---its hard for me to do that. In some past threads I know SAS had worded it better than I can about larger pipes, tobacco, and how they smoke themselves, and for the life of me the experience far exceeds ANY of my small pipes as it seems that just as I begin to enjoy the tobacco---its over. GRANTED---one may not have the time---say 40 minutes---several hours----then I understand----BUT---when I am relaxing-----bring on my SAS BST pipes, or big boys for a relaxing smoke.

MikeInMaine likes this.
  10. dmkerr

One of our members. Take a look at his avatar. That pipe should get you started on the road to large pipes. :ohyh:

MacNutz and OldSouled65 like this.
  11. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I've only recently gotten into larger pipes, man, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't tried one. I think I'm going to start weeding out some of my smaller pipes, and stick with stuff that will DGT well when I don't have time to puff my way through a full bowl.

12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I have a few larger pipes, the largest has a bowl roughly two inches deep and three quarters of an inch wide. It only lasts me thirty minutes, which seems a bit odd. My other pipes aren't long smokers either. Is the larger airway on them the cause for this?

13. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I like smaller pipes for travel etc, but I love larger pipes for a good sit down long slow smoke.

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like different pipes for different times. I think it's easier to light a smaller pipe for obvious reasons, but once going I find larger pipes burn a little better for me in general. Lots of other factors obviously come into play as well, though.

I'm currently smoking one of my larger pipes, a BST, and it smokes extremely slowly and deliberately for reasons I can't pinpoint. I suspect (very strongly) that it's the engineering of the draft hole as much as anything, because my Savinelli Trevi has a similarly sized chamber but doesn't smoke nearly as slowly. My Baki, on the other hand, has a slightly larger chamber and smokes in roughly as slow and deliberate a manner as the BST....

on the other hand, my Stanwell and my "Bjarne" Viking are both smaller pipes, and also tend to burn rather on the slow side

AussieTX likes this.
  15. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

What he said. I have always felt a moderate to larger pipe, over a small pipe, allows one to "use" the tobacco to filter and enhance the smoking experience. With a smallish bowl you have -- um -- the "worst of both worlds," the equivalent of a half or quarter bowl smoked as a full bowl. My evaluation of a new pipe used to start with sticking my thumb in the bowl. If I couldn't get the thumb part way in, like to the finger nail (thumb nail?) it was "too small." (Of course, if my thumb got stuck in the bowl that was both a bad sign and embarrassing. :) )

MikeInMaine and dmkerr like this.
  16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

A pipe with a bowl size of 3/4" bowl diameter by 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" bowl depth is ideal for me, think standard size billiard (straight stem), the perfect pipe in my opinion.

17. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

That big pipe i had last night took me a good 2.5 hours to smoke and to be honest i was struggling a bit near the end, so tonight i have gone for a much smaller pipe and im enjoying it more rather than punishing my self like yesterday!

18. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Just remember the pipe is not in charge. The other half, the kids, the boss, maybe the mother-in-law -- hmmm -- could be, but not the pipe. Smoke it as long as you enjoy it. When you feel like you've hit a stopping point, quit. You can run a pipe cleaner down the stem, set it aside and fire it up again later -- often picking up where you left off. Or, you can just dump the half or quarter bowl. It will only be a few pennies worth of tobacco and, after all you're in charge and it is supposed to be relaxing and not a beating.

19. phinz

phinz Active Member

I prefer smaller pipes, typically. I have the attention span of a gnat, so unless I'm doing something like playing video games I don't have the patience for a 2-hour smoke.

dwaugh likes this.
  20. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

I am the first to admit im at the beginning of a long road with many lessons to learn and you are right the pipe is not in charge.
    I will be saving that particular pipe for a cold winters Sunday when ive got nothing to do and all day do do it in!!! .
    Maybe then ill be able to show it who's the boss, till then ill be taking it a bit slower, thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.