1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

big pipes!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Moonrover333, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Any reccomendations on some bigger bowled smooth pipes? I want to eventually get a over xl or xxl briar. They have a calabresi at my local b&m. I really like the pete kinsale xl15. Anyone have a pic compairing it to the 80s or 999 just for size. Any pics would be awesome

2. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

If you want big----really--really big. Take a look at a Boswell Grizzly. Do a search on google for J.M. Boswell pipes. Go to the pipe gallery on his website, and view some of his jumbos, jumbo X, jumboXX pipes to include the Grizzlys. It aint a big pipe if aint a Grizzly.

3. Albert

Albert Active Member

The owner of a b&m here was showing me his two boswell magnum pipes. I was floored to see them in person even though I had seen many pics. me want!

4. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Ok the grizzly is a bit much lmao wow they are almost comical

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've got a Sas "grizzly' (not a smooth pipe, though) and it looks like a perfectly proportioned pipe, except it's gargantuan. It fits in my hand like they were made for each other, but it's still clenchable. I think one reason I hold it in my hand is that it's walls are so thick, it never gets anywhere beyond comfortably warm.

I haven't seen one of Boswell's up close but it may not look as silly in person as it does in pics.

6. BurghBriar

BurghBriar Member

Keep your eyes out for Ser Jacopo with a Maxima stamp, which are larger, and run from one Maxima up to six (Maxima, Maxima, Maxima ...).The six Maxima may be mythical, I've only sen one photo.

jpberg likes this.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I knew you'd show up.....

BurghBriar likes this.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I have a Mastercraft colossal I can't even lift when it's loaded...

9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

The Sherlock Holmes series and their respective Kinsale Shapes (XL10s and 20s) are nicely sized but not exceptionally large. One fully packed with a flake would probably last you a good 90min-2hrs.

10. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Yeah but please don't post a You Tube video of you smoking it in leather chaps and nothing else.:haha:

Old Codger and Albert like this.
  11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You owe me for one computer keyboard, one can of Pepsi and 12 nosehairs, 6 per side. :xd:

browny, Old Codger, Professor and 2 others like this.
  12. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Us bears dont wear leather.....thilly boy gerowl

phinz and Albert like this.
  13. user2725

user2725 Active Member

:puke:

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

15. Professor

Professor Active Member

:eek: WTF?

16. phinz

phinz Active Member

But if you did, I bet you'd be FABULOUS!

[​IMG]

Old Codger, Sasquatch and Professor like this.
  17. Russell Hartman

:haha: :haha:OK--fellas---I promise I will not post pics in chaps--ROTFLMAO--OH my gawd. I gotta tell you that although I love my big Boswells---I aint---well lets say the bus doesn't stop there. My saloon doors dont swing that way. On a serious note though about large pipes--I got into them because my first experience was where I found that once the pipe was lit, and it got going---it seems to smoke itself. The natural sugars, and such in Virginias seem to come out---nice cool smoke---pipe does all the work---stays lit. Granted not everyone has time to fire up a pipe that will smoke all day on a single bowl. I have a special collection of several huge pipes that perform beyond phenominal. Large--huge pipes smoke much different than the smaller pipes I have. YES--a Boswell Grizzly is a bit much I know----its an over the top kind of pipe----You would not believe how well these pipes smoke. Once lit--they smoke themselves--nice cool smoke full of flavor. I only break my huge pipes out once in a while. While some may say they are just too much--comical, or some may even say--just right down stupid--they are not. Once I found the smoking characteristics of these massive pipes---well---its tough to explain. If you have a point in time where you can actually sit down--fire up a huge pipe, and pull away from life for a while---DO IT---you will not regret the pipe smoking pleasure, and experience.

18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The XL15, like the XL02 and some others in the series, isn't an especially big pipe. Bigger than a 999 but not vastly so. The bigger pipes in that series like the original SH shape (now the xl11, formerly xl315 just to be confusing), the Rathbone, the Baskerville.... these are much deeper, pushing into 2" deep and .8" across. Good big pipes, but not crazy big.

Big bowls smoke differently than small ones, for me. Small pipes are excellent for getting and seperating flavor nuances... keeping the lemon and the grassy flavors bright and distinct in that brown flake.... but big pipes excel in the way Russell mentioned - that super low-temperature, long-time sweet burn. It's a trade off I'll take 9 times in ten. I like how they smoke, and I like how they feel in my hand.

There are lots of good used Ser Jacopos on eBay right now, available for around 150 bucks. BB's suggestion was spot on.

20. Russell Hartman

I would like to say to my fellow pipe smokers--that you owe it to yourself to own at least one large pipe. I cannot say it enough about the unique nuances that a slow burn, low heat pipe WILL---YES I SAID WILL--bring out in certain tobaccos. I smoke Virginias in these. For me in small pipes---yes good smoke, but in large pipe bowls--that ssllooww burn, llooww heat--the pipe just kinda smolders all on its own. The flavors that jump out in that nice cool smoke is for me a true pipe smoking nirvanna. I know for most these large pipes come with a large price. It was a price I worked hard to obtain because once I experienced that characteristic in a pipe--I could not leave it alone. It was without a doubt so much different than my pipe smoking experiences in small pipes that I literally was beside myself in the fact that I was tasting, and experiencing a level of pipe smoking that I had NEVER had before. I LOVE BIG PIPES. Granted huge isn't something that everyone may want---large is enough to get that experience. I wouldn't want to stuff Latakia blends, or heavy aromatics in a pipe like that. I have tried MILD aros in one---it was a HOLY WOW--COW factor. Light crisp smoke that was cool--allowing the pipe to just do its thing---vanillas, and undertones I NEVER tasted, and experienced in a small pipe. It prooved to me that when one can take the time to do this that the tobaccos I kinda was ready to just say----nnnaaayyyhh---I can take it or leave this blend---well I found out that the tobaccos in these big pipes had so much more to offer than I imagined. They had nuances that only came out when I just gave them a chance. I REALLY love the lighter Virginias in these pipes----a hay like--grassy subtle undertone that when one doesnt push the pipe, but allows it to just smoke itself---sugars, sweetness, and for me a smoke that takes me to another place. Perhaps its pipe nirvanna--or perhaps Im a little wacked out in the head-----I don't know. I will however say---Give me a bigger pipe any day over small when I have some time to really enjoy it. It really does remind me why my great father, and generations enjoyed smoking pipes---it wasn't just a habit and nicotine. As I have said before----Cigarettes are an addiction---cigars are a hobby, but pipes are a religion----these huge pipes have really made me believe that. You owe it to yourself to experience a bigger pipe----let it smoke itself----enjoy what the tobacco can give you through low heat, and a slow burn.

Professor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.