1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Big 'uns V little 'uns

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Just lately I seem to have drifted to small pipes, the reasons are - having only six natural teeth left - and doing most of my puffing while working in my shop, pipe permanently in mouth, some of my old-time favourites are making my jaw and/or gums sore. I suppose there is also the economy aspect coming into it too, but the last few days have seen me enjoying really lightweight, small bowl briars - the Yello-Bowl I got a few weeks ago for a 'song' is proving to be a delight, I hardly know it's there, but when I stop what I'm doing to tamp, or tip a little ash - I realize what a good smoke I'm getting.
    Today I got to thinking - some of my pipes with a bowl nearly twice as big would be expected to smoke twice as long, but this is not always the case, I've been quite surprised by the smoking time afforded by these little ones, when loaded with a decent VA flake or some twist, maybe it's just me but the bigger ones don't seem to go that much longer, and I'll often tire of them by three quaters of the bowl. Yes -some blends do seem to go better in a large pipe, but I now save them for my stints in the garden chair. Anyone with similar thoughts?

Cheers OT
  2. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I have a very large pipe that I carved out of hedge. It's crude at best, but it smokes decent and I made it so I like it. :) The chamber on it is a little bigger than an inch in diameter and it's 2 inches deep. Straight down. I can usually smoke it for about an hour. But the amount of Toby that I use in it could fill most of my normal and smaller pipes twice over which would make for almost two hours worth of smoking. My theory is, and I could be wrong, that the bigger the surface coal the faster it's going to burn the Toby beneath it... I generally only smoke my "hedge" pipe around a campfire, so I don't see it as too great a waste. It's picture at the top Hedge Pipe Picture Here , and I now have a stem from a Filtered MM corncob pipe it, I used to have to smoke it straight on the wood... blech.
  3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    I tend to agree. I have some average pipes, a few "king size" Savs, and my big ugly Nording, that must hold half a cubic yard of leaf (well, almost :whistle: ). They all take me about 60 to 75 minutes to smoke.
  4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Been through the big pipe thing last year, but I have to say while it worked well I got bored with it. It just didn't suit my way of living - and pipe smoking to me is a big part of living...

I think it all depends on your own preferred smoking method. Me, I get involved in what I'm doing totally and then find myself suffering nicotine withdrawal syndrome so I fire up loooking for the quickest hit and a large volume of smoke; then the cycle repeats.

Under this system the after breakfast load lasts til dinner time (taken after the Old Scottish style at mid-day) the after dinner load lasts til teatime (5.00pm) and the after tea load lasts til supper time (9.00pm) with the last pipe of the day somewher around 10.00 pm - this last pipe being enjoyed and finished off if I wake up during the night, and if I don't gets finished as a "wake up" pipe swhould I sleep straight through.

Ordinary standard size bowls work just fine for me....

Best to all

5. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I have a tiny bowled vintage Orlik pipe I got in a "lucky dip" assortment on ebay, I can't wait to give it a ream and clean and try some strong rope or flake in it. It will be my first featherweight and type I/II bowl in the rotation.
  6. snowman

snowman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    As we all know,Most if not all pipe smokers have their own style of pipe smoking.I smoke my peterson pipes mostly but for the cobs.My peterson pipes range in sizes small medium and large.The largest one that I have is my Darwin deluxe.Too me that is a big pipe and I can get a 90 minute smoke out of it easy.I call this pipe my TV Pipe.Then I have my peterson 302 ex and I can get a 60 to 75 minute smoke out of it.Then I go down to my 307 and I will get 45 to 60 minutes smoke.I wear full dentures I'm retired and I enjoy a long smoke.I have real small pipes but at this time they are collecting dust.And thats it for me.
  7. WisconsinPiper

WisconsinPiper Member

Sep 22, 2010
    I tend to enjoy all sizes depending on the circumstances. The pipes that go in the truck are pretty small, pipes for the evenings are a medium size, then I have a handful of big ones for the weekends where I don't have anything to do. All have a purpose in my rotation, and I enjoy them all.

Happy Smoking!
  8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    One of my first pipes was a large Peretti canadian which provides a two-hour smoke. Large pipes certainly have their place in my life, but most of my rotation are smaller Yello Boles and Grabows. The Grabows in particular get lots of use as they give me a 20-30 minute smoke which seems to fit my lifestyle best as it's rare when I have two hours to devote to a pipe.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    I've given up on most of my small pipes. There's a hundred reasons. Glove size is one of them - I hate handling tiny little pipes.... they just feel like toys or something.

Most of the stuff I smoke is sweet and weak, and generally that's good in a big bowl (is my belief). Anyone cutting ropes or using the big-hitting Condor or 1792 type blends have no use for a large bowl at all, I imagine.

There's something pleasing to me about just not having to worry about a refill - I light up and I'm good to go for a long time. But then I'm an occassional smoker and it's more like meditation than a part of daily life for me.

But to each his own - I'm frequently asked to make small pipes and I happily do so, the epitome being Mr Moo's group one demi-warden a few months ago. For myself, a 1/4 pound of briar and a big tin of coins please!
  10. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Mine are regular/medium sized or smaller. They just fit better into the amount of time I have for a smoke. One of my best smoking pipes is a tiny Dunhill group 1 billiard, and while it does feel small in my hand, it is a great smoker. Of course, another favorite is a very large Tinsky Christmas pipe - a bent apple - but it is about a 60 or 70 minute smoke.
  11. telltime

telltime Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Anyone that knows me knows I prefer a smaller pipe (Dunhill group size 3 or 4)... I'll take a larger pipe if I have a long, long time but even then most of those times I'll choose two smaller pipes to the one large.

I like the feel of them in my hand better, they're easier for me to clench, and I prefer a "shorter" smoke (30 - 45 minutes). Then I can re-load after a quick break if I'd like, but call it ADD, I just don't want to smoke one pipe for over an hour.
  12. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

May 6, 2010
    If I want a long smoke (when I'm in the recliner and reading), I reach for my MM Freehand. Otherwise, I smoke natural Diplomats or Missouri Prides. I have two prides, 23 and 26 grams, and these are great clinchers. With the Forever Stem nose warmer, even better.

I can get a 60 minute smoke out of the Prides with LNF, LTF, OGS and M.B. Va #1 and a slightly longer smoke with my Diplomats using the same tobacco.

13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I usually stick to smaller bowls (3/4" bore) these days, mostly just because I prefer to finish a smoke all at one crack, and I often don't have the time or the appetite for a giant pipe. To use a food analogy, I typically prefer frequent small meals- although of course every once in a while I do have to go for that 18oz porterhouse with all the sides :)

I also believe, though, that somehow the size of the bowl can affect the flavor of some blends. Old Gowrie, one of my favorites, really shines in my big Zeman billiard. I don't have any theories as to the how or the why, but I really seem to taste a lot more of that one in a big pipe.
  14. r0n54

r0n54 Member

Jan 18, 2011
    +1 here, thats why I think a variety is necessary for the full enjoyment of pipe smoking. Different circumstances and or tobaccos lend themselves best to certain types of pipes or bowl shapes and sizes.
  15. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Good thread. I had never considered the "efficiency" of a pipe, in relation to its size.
  16. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Another small-to-average sized pipe guy here. I have one big Freehand and appreciate the wider chamber, but I rarely fill it past two-thirds anymore.
  17. Jay

Jay Active Member

Apr 29, 2010
    a pipe for all occasions. I have several smaller bowled pipes along with medium sized and a few bigger but not huge pipes. I just don't have the wherewithal to smoke for 2 hours. 1 1/2 hours is my max. But a 30 to 40 minute smoke seems to be an enjoyable amount of time for me on many occasions.
  18. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
    I started off with a MM General. I found it to be way to much for my rookie status. A Country Gentleman followed. I then went to an (OTC) Legend MM, and then the MM Missou, which is even smaller.

I find that when I am with a friend, I can enjoy longer, but when alone 45-60 min. is plenty. Any longer and I lose the enjoyment, and it ruins the whole experience.

I've been looking for a small to medium bowl with an overall length between 4-5". I've just recently purchased an MM (bent) Washington, along with a (bent) Forever Stem 'Nosewarmer'. I'm looking forward to that.

Great thread, guys! :thumb:
  19. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    I've always preferred large pipes. Group 5 size is pretty much the lower limit. There's just something very comforting to me about a large pipe. I can fill it to the max and enjoy 2+ hours of smoking, or fill it halfway for those more potent blends. And after all these years, I don't think I could properly fill a small bowl, as the fingers just seem to know how much tobacco to grab for each load. As for the workmanship, there's just more to admire.

One of my pipes is nicknamed The Fist because it's the size of one. It's a meerschaum calabash (all meerschaum - no gourd) and it smokes like a dream.
  20. justMike

justMike Member

Aug 8, 2010
    now that I'm working again, the need for a quality smoke has increased, while opportunities to do so are compressed into tea-breaks and lunch time. The majority of my pipes have a group 3-4 bowl, way too large for a 10 minute break, so earlier in the week I bought myself some smaller pipes, a Pete rustic barrel and a Pete Belgique... First surprise with the Belgique (it's tiny) was that a half flake lasts near double the time that a full flake lasts in my 314 for example... Ye canna change the laws o physics, but they can be bent some... apparently... I've spent the rest of the week going through my available blends, trying to find a decent smoke that fits inside that 10 minute window... and I believe.... Accountants Mixture will do just that...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.