1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest letdown of my pipe-smoking life so far

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Graham R, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham R

Graham R Member

Wandering around Iwan Ries in Chicago, one tin of Esoterica Dunbar on the shelf.

I almost ran to claim it, paid in-store prices ($12 for the tin, 2 taxes making it nealt $17.50 total) and brought it home.

Opened the tin for 3 hours to air it, loaded it into a WDC Wellington on my back porch, and lit up.

Tin note smells like stale champagne and dried out old fruit, and sour vinegar, took me 4 matches to light post initial tamping light, and I smoked.

Smoked the whole bowl, and I have to say, bitter, dry and utterly ordinary flavour. H&H Sunjammer is twice as good for a third of the price, it was remarkably linear and didn't develop as the bowl went on, why people wait and wait for this I cannot fathom.

-G

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Sorry that you didn't like it; I like Dunbar but it's not my favorite.
    Just remember that for every tobacco you "hate," there is someone else that LOVES it.

Everman75, dwaugh, Coda and 1 other person like this.
  3. Graham R

Graham R Member

Agreed, that's what is so wonderful about pipes, I ADORE some tobacco that other people can't stand, I just found this so disappointing after all the hype.

Spillproof likes this.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

The only Esotericas I've liked so far are Stonehaven and Penzance, and they are gooo - ood. :bing:

PipeSimmo likes this.
  5. user3610

user3610 Member

I didn't love Stonehaven either, but my wife said it made me smell like peanut butter :confused:

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Graham , do you know how lucky you are to be able to visit IRC !!!!! I'd give my left .... whatever .. to be able to visit that store once a week or month or year . They have a Three Star blend called Old Colonial that is quite " Old School " and is on par with CH but better . The Three Star Buttered Rum is off the map Aro ! Their Three Star Cherry Cordial is the best Cherry aro made by man .. It taste like ya picked a ripe cherry from the three and smoked it . I could go on and on ..... When I was in A school [ Navy ] at Great Lakes ... I'd visit IRC and was just in awe ! It was many years ago and I just loved it < sigh > .... what a freakin store !!!!!!

User5642 and Rewster66 like this.
  7. Graham R

Graham R Member

My office is a 6 minute walk from it. I used to go once a week for a cigar, and just recently started going there for pipe stuff.

Their homeblends are ok, a lot of them have that PG stuff in them though, the better ones I have had are the Dr Bradley and then the China Black. They have all of them free to sample in jars right by the pipe fixing counter. Their problem is their prices, P&C online is a lot less for the named brands and way less taxes, plus they have the entire range of H&H stuff.

All in all though, I love IRC. I go in, I always buy some stuff and light one up in one of the lounges, usually the free one where I know most of the regulars. I don't bother with the paid lounge much.

8. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I tried Dunbar a long time ago but I don't remember what I thought of it. I drove up to IRC once but that was a long time ago too. I certainly did enjoy it there. It's a 200+ mile trip for me one way. I would like to go again sometime if I'm ever in the area.

ruffinogold likes this.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

:eek:

Yes, but did you smoke it in a Burley dedicated cob?

I like it in a briar or non-dedicated cob. I love it in my 2 cobs that have never seen anything but Burley. That's funny about the peanut butter... I'll have to ask my wife next time I smoke it.

user3610 likes this.
  10. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Oh ho ho hoooo! Looks like I need to try a tin of this Stonehaven aphrodisiac. The wife will resist my advances no longer! Mwahahahahahah!

Tony Malerich and user3610 like this.
  11. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I will make the trip downtown to IRC one of these days!!

12. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Some tobacco takes 2 or 3 bowls at least to get aquainted with it. Try it again another time, perhaps...

13. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

When I was in college (back in the day), I'd take the El downtown from school and visit Iwan Ries about every 3 months. I remember prices then were not to bad. A lot changes in 30 years.

As for the Dunbar, try it in a couple other pipes. It isn't one of my favorites, but it has some subtle nuances if smoked to fast or in a pipe that has had some stronger tobaccos in it that can cover up those nuances. And by stronger tobacco, it doesn't have to be much stronger.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

14. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I found an old tin of it at a local b&m not too long ago myself and was unimpressed. Stonehaven is the only one of the line that i really like.

15. Gig

Gig Member

I felt that way about their Stonehaven tobacco. Tatsed like, I imagine sucking on an old sweaty lether belt and it had aged for several years. Overrated in my opinon :)

user3610 likes this.
  16. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

[​IMG]

17. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I love Dunbar. I love that sour fruit aroma it has and i always find it a hassle free smoke. I just wish it were a different cut. I dont like the stringy nature of it.

18. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

Blackpool is my favorite Esoterica blend but I have only tried three. Stonehaven, Penzance and Blackpool.

Fbones24 likes this.
  19. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

+1 on Iwan ries. I went there a year ago when I was in Chicago. Best selection anywhere. True, it is a bummer about the crippling tobacco taxes, but it is an amazing store. Their pipe prices are quite competitive.

20. Graham R

Graham R Member

Yes, its a great place for all pipe, pipe tobacco and cigar needs.

They are actually best as a cigar store, have a great range and they are all aged and stored so well. They seem to be moving away from pipe tobacco as they just can't be competitive on prices with online, jarringly so too with not only the taxes but base prices too. If you are in the market for 2 or 3 tins, even with delivery online places will be nearly $15 cheaper for the total order and they always throw-in freebies.

Their pipe range is good, and a couple of the older folks there are great for pipe cleaning and restoring, and their general pipe knowledge is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.