1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Billiard F/T BST

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tate, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tate

Tate Member

I commissioned this pipe from Sas after reading about six thousand pages of gushing zealous praise for the pipes that he produces. I wanted a billiard bowl about equiv of my Dunhill size 4. I also wanted a fishtail stem with a smaller than usual button on the end. Saddle stem. This would match that Dunhill in my "somewhat small" pipe bag.

He offered me a cumberland type stem and I went for that and just asked him to make a "neat match" on the stain and a rusticated finish.

Today the pipe arrived today, thank God. I was dying waiting. The pipe is rusticated beautifully with stain on it that is bright, almost orange. It appears almost like a light colored leather from a distance. Beautiful to my eye. The stem is a perfect fit. I noticed that it was counter sunk and that is a nice touch.

Its heavier than my Dunhill of the same size, but it is also shorter. This means when I hold it in my teeth there isn't as much leverage. So it about breaks even. The button on the BST is about one the same level of comfort as the Dunhill for mouthfeel. The BST is wider at the widest point of the button but has more slope and quickly slims down. The lines on the Dunhill stem are more graceful on the F/T, but the BST fits the edge of my mouth perfectly.

The overall finish of this pipe is good. There are several small pits or blemishes on the bowl that keep it from 10/10 status. The hollow of the mouthpiece is not even on both sides.

The stem is not marked and thus it is somewhat difficult to know top from bottom when putting the pipe together. Now that is a testament to how well shaped it is. I might offer the suggestion to Sas to put a dot or something to know the orientation of the stem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very much looking forward to getting it broken in and reviewing its smoking characteristics. Now off to smoke the first bowl of the day.

psquared, jgWatson, MakDragon and 8 others like this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

That's an incredible Blast & finish on that pipe ! Well done , Sas ! Congrats , Tate :th1:If I Might add .. you have lovely white hands :xd: ......................................... gotta love cameras , man

Old Codger and Tate like this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Get some sun, man.

4. Tate

Tate Member

Didn't you all know I'm really a vampire or something.

5. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Very nice!

David Emond likes this.
  6. Tate

Tate Member

You know, I only wear a hat made in Canada. What will happen if all my pipes come from Canada?

David Emond likes this.
  7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Congrats Tate!

David Emond likes this.
  8. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

You'll start using the Metric system and become really polite?

9. dBear

dBear Active Member

I love Sas's gentle touch with the rustication. Really lets the grain shine through. Nice pipe, Tate!

Tate and David Emond like this.
  10. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Congrats on your new bst.

11. Labman

Labman Member

Yet another sweet looking Sas pipe! I am totally jealous. :)

BTW, what kind of watch you got there? An Invicta?

12. Stewart

Stewart Member

Nice. I like cumberland stem on that color wood. How does it smoke?

13. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I like the stem design. Is that to ease the stretching of the tissue where the superior and inferior labia meet?

14. Tate

Tate Member

Nope, just a Bulova

Labman likes this.
  15. Tate

Tate Member

Went through two bowls with it today. Absolutely fantastic for not being broken in. I'm singing praises right now.

jdto likes this.
  16. Labman

Labman Member

Very nice! It looks a lot like my Invicta watch from the side.

17. Tate

Tate Member

Alright, after having run several bowls through this pipe I can say that I'm ready to give some feedback on its smoking qualities. I'm a skeptic. I don't buy hype. It usually like to test and see whats up. I also try to not be biased based on friendship/hype/status quo. That said, I'll give my review of this pipe. Keep in mind that it is not fully broken in yet.

The first bowl was precarious. At the very bottom of the bowl where the hole was drilled there was some rough looking wood. I worried about how this would affect the flow of the pipe. I loaded it up and began smoking. Almost immediately there was a little gurgle so I swabbed it out and continued smoking. It was pretty hot due to no cake. After that bowl I scraped out the rough spot with a pipe tool and let it cool. The second bowl smoked a lot better. Nice and dry even though it was the second bowl in a day.

After running four bowls through it I can say that it is showing all the promise of be a superb dry smoker. It smokes pretty cool and dry. The worry with the stem hole seem to be unfounded as I haven't noticed any residue building up in that spot.

The mouth feel is good. The pipe is a bit heavier than I expected but the stem is such that it fits well in my mouth. The button on the end of the stem doesn't feel quite as nice as if it had been flattened out more. The button is also a little sharp, but not overly so.

The thing that is impressing me so much is how well it does actually smoke. Totally dry and doesn't overheat at all. After that first bowl I haven't had to use a cleaner while smoking even once. It is a completely dry smoke free of gurgles and when I dump the ash it is all totally burned and white. Really nice. The flavor coming from the tobaccos is exactly as they should be. A new pipe is wonderful as it has no bitterness. I intend to keep this one clean and sweet.

I will be a repeat customer. This pipe is an outstanding value. Sas told me the briar was top quality and I fully believe him now. So far I would rate this pipe as one of my top two smokers. The only one even comparing is my favorite Dunhill. Anyone considering ordering a pipe from BST, I would advice you to make it so.

Pipe smoking is one of the real pleasures in my life and I spend a lot of money on it. I would rather 7 great pipes than 40 "okay" pipes. This BST is most certainly in the former category and comes at a price below that of a lot of very high end makers. I have some very expensive pipes. If the BST pipes are of consistent quality (as they seem to be based on forum feedback), I cannot see putting the money down on a Peterson, Dunhill, or any of the other "high end" brands when you can get results like this out of a BST. And he will customize them to your wants and needs to boot.

Consider me a convert. Cheers Sas. In a world where I'm continually disappointed by marketing, hype, and fanboys... You delivered what I consider to be a very top quality product at a price that puts your work in a value class that cannot be beat.

18. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Oh great...now he's gonna go and raise his prices. :p:

MakDragon and Labman like this.
  19. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Congratulations, Tate! Great Work, Sas! :gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob:standing ovation for both!

MakDragon and dBear like this.
  20. Labman

Labman Member

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the in-depth review Tate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.