1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bing's Favorite

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I stumbled into a mother lode the other day: an internet pipe seller's warehouse. Shelves full of boxes of pipes and tins still in the original packaging. No prices. As the proprietor explained, "I do all my business over the internet that's why I don't have any displays." I said I would do my research and come back for pickup if he didn't mind since I live less than a mile away. "No problem." I'll save on shipping.

While he was on the phone I opened some boxes containing the various "Bing's Favorites" from Savinelli. I've been attracted to this pipe for a while. Does anyone smoke one and want to offer a review before I make a purchase? I always picture Der Bingle as a man who enjoyed a good pipe and put it through the paces. The bowl seems small and thin-walled but the briar shank appeals to me and I would think it lends to a cool smoke. WIll it stand up when I put it on the desk or do I need a stand? It seems I'll need a stand.

Any information welcome. Thanks.
    WK

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You'll need a stand I think. It's just a long, slim billiard. Good pipes by all accounts but a smallish bowl.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You can't own one unless you dedicate it to Deer Tongue...dems da rules.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I remember reading an interview with Bing many years ago - he said something like "I have a liitle English pipe I like, it's really light and you never notice it in your mouth" - I've always taken this to mean that he was talking about a Moth 3/4 oz series, now made by Orlik.

I had one; it smoked fiendishly hot and I didn't like it and it quickly went to Pipe Heaven.

He did smoke tobacco with Deer Tongue - "Chrooner" was made for him; John Patton's "Winter Heartbeat" is better in my humble opinion,

Best to all

Gerry

5. yinyang

Thanks, Gerry...for the life of me I couldn't recall it's name!

-Kyle

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Crooner is weird, but it leaves a very appealing smell in the pipe, when you're done.

7. yinyang

Not the best reason to smoke a blend...unless you find it 'chic' to walk about, your snoot in a bowl. Actually, if I did it, no one would be surprised.

8. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

My Bing's Favorite is one of my favorite pipes. I bought a used one at my local pipe store for $50.00 and therefore it was also a great deal!. One of the things that I like the most is the low profile bit - its only 4mm thick for the last one inch before the button. I have been using this as a standard for the bits I make. The bowl is somewhat small, but I like that as well. This is one of my best smokers.

Good luck - in my opinion you can't go wrong with this one. BTW - I was using the balsa inserts, but gave up on that due to the trouble of changing out.

Bob

9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Sounds right on the money for me, Bob, and a new one isn't too much more expensive. Thanks for the balsa filter tip. I wasn't aware that was part of the package. I'll probably give them a try and, like you, give them up.I like the idea of filters but I can't master them in practice and find it doesn't really matter much. The bit ratio sounds perfect.

Cheers and a tip of the fedora,
    WK

10. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

FWIW C&D makes a blend called Crooner that has deer tongue in it. It's supposedly based on the custom blend Bing had his tobacconist make up...It's an interesting smoke. It seems to me to be a good summertime smoke because of the sort of "refreshing" notes of the deer tongue....not quite minty but subtly cool....

11. phinz

phinz Active Member

I have a Clark's Favorite, which isn't much different from the Bing's Favorite, and I love it.

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Deer tongue?
    Wow. I like to eat venison, but smoke it? hmmmm
    I will try anything once though.
    Plus I have a problem lately with TAD.

13. erickghint

erickghint Member

Man, those Bing's Favs look nice. I think you may have talked me into asking the little lady about getting one for xmas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.