1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Birthday Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by RTOdhner, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

"Here's a little Rhodesian variant. Very little wasted space and it's all chamber, like looking down into a well. This was (I guess it still is) a really tight, hard little piece of Italian plateaux, white as driven snow. Blasted like.... well, like a chunk of cement, actually. I did a little "pop out" ring of smooth rather than the traditional double inset cut. " With these words, Sas introduced me to my very first high-end/artisan-crafted pipe. Not exactly what I had originally envisioned when we first discussed it, but way too cool to pass up... like something that a character in a Rudyard Kipling story might smoke. And so began my BST/Sas birthday pipe adventure.

With my 49th birthday looming on the horizon, I sent off payment on 05/07/12. I was eager for the pipe, and not sure that I could hold off on smoking before my birthday on 07/28/12. Seems that fate would help me avoid foul temptation, because Sas had still not received the registered letter as of 06/01/12. I checked up on it, and was advised that it had made it as far as some US Customs office in New York City. Cancel the money order, get the cash back, and try a different route? Hell no! US Postal Service rules indicate that I can't get a refund on an uncashed money order for 60 days from date of purchase. OK, says I, I'll just wait until then. Hell no once again as I got sent off on several different training courses beginning 07/06/12.

I finally got done with the training about a week or so ago and got ready to get a refund on the money order, but I got word from Sas that he finally got the registered letter (yes, the letter that I sent off on 05/07/12)... somewhere between the US and Canadian postal services, it finally made it to its intended destination and it only took about two and a half months to get there. And somewhere between the Canadian and US postal services it finally made it to my mail box today, 07/28/12... my 49th birthday. Now this is a pipe with a story behind it.

Size-wise, I'd say it's along the lines of a Pete XL series. It's surprisingly light for its size, the balance is superb, and it's got a nice open draw. I'm smoking some Scottish mixture in it right now, and it just sings! This is easily the best smoking pipe I've ever owned, and I believe this has just earned a place on my daily smoke rack. Great job, Sas - you rule!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

:bday:

Sweet looking pipe! Sas really knows his stuff, enjoy it :th1:

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I know, right?

Iain and RTOdhner like this.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's incredible, utterly incredible that it made it for today. That's so tragically bizarre, given how much of a hassle we had with that stupid MO.... anyway, that's great, I'm pleased it got there just in the nick.

RTOdhner likes this.
  5. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

The unblasted band is a nice distinguishing feature!

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. furious

furious Junque collector

Now that's a pipe story matched only by the craftsmanship (and ego) of its maker!

BradNTX, Sasquatch and RTOdhner like this.
  7. RTOdhner

Poetry or tragedy? It made it on my birthday, and I did plan it as a birthday pipe, so it all worked out in the end. Well-worth the wait.

8. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Very nice...I like the shape...

RTOdhner likes this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

That's a nice pipe RTO :bday: Sir!

RTOdhner likes this.
  10. raf66

raf66 Member

Very, very nice. Happy 49th!

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

First of all...Happy birthday!! Secondly, that is a beautiful pipe! From what I've seen, Sas is on my short list of artisan makers of whom I would like very much to do business with!

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Sweeeet pipe, congratulations and happy bday RTO!

RTOdhner likes this.
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Congrats on a great pipe, RTO! And Happy Birthday!

RTOdhner likes this.
  14. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Great looking pipe, enjoy.

RTOdhner likes this.
  15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Roy, and congratulations on the new pipe! :bday: :toast:

I love the shape, the proportions and the raised ring around the bowl. :th1:

RTOdhner likes this.
  16. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

That's a cool pipe!

RTOdhner likes this.
  17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like it! Sasquatch makes a mean pipe. Be careful though, it might spoil you!

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Belated :bday: Roy! Great pipe.

RTOdhner likes this.
  19. RTOdhner

It already has. Why would I buy a mass produced Pete (or Sav, or Stan) when I can buy a hand-made Sas/BST for just a little more? My peanut brain is already scheming on my next Sas, perhaps a Bull Moose style. The only trick is how I manage to get the abicus, checking account, and festering imagination all on the same sheet of music.

20. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Happy belated, Roy! That's a
    Hell of a fishtail on that bugger!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.