1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Bit The Bullet

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Rugbysh9, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

After getting sniped ALL F-ing weekend I bit the bullet and called Rich at 4-noggins. Turns out he grew up near where I grew up. We shot the **** for 20 min and not only knows his stuff but is really pleasant to talk to. Ended up getting a new curved falcon with bulldog bowl. That and some weed.

Per Rich Gawith will be back in May while Esoterica will be back around April. Based on call's hes getting to reserve "pounds" at a time, don't expect this shipment to last. Just a heads up gents~

Andrew

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Well done that man! Hope you do enjoy the Falcon and get along with it, and thanks for the "Heads Up" re supplies,

Gerry

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Gerry the only thing I didn't like about my last falcon (still have it) is the dental bit which Rich said was discontinued.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi again,

and totally agree about the dental bit - it puts the pipe at altogether the wrong angle for comfort. I wear dentures,(grew two extra sets of adult teeth in my 30's and 40's underneath the exhisting ones - very painful ) and have never had a problem with the standard bit.

Apart from anything else Falcon's moulds for the dental bit were getting worn and there were quality contro issues with them,

Gerry

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

My Falcon arrived today from www.Smoke.co.uk (James Barber) it was by far the cheapest place that I found even with air mail shipping. I talked to Angela who has to be one of nicest and prettiest ladies in the pipe world. I got the curved extra with a Hunter Meer lined Billiard. Very nice, light pipe and it's a little bigger than I was expecting. I will be getting more bowls and stems.

It could retire a few of my rotation pipes to the wall rack. [​IMG]

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Besides James Barber tobacconist, I would also recommend Greens of Leeds. Both are outstanding UK dealers.

7. user0003

I've been through six bowls since it arrived in the mail around 10 o'clock this morning. It smokes great with out the filter. I tried it with the filter but it clogged near the end of the bowl. What I have done is cut a 3/4" piece of pipe cleaner and but into a "U" shape and put it only in the front part of the under-bowl. It works much better and still catches wetness. The standard size bowls are a little small for me so I'll be ordering a couple of large bowls from Angela.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

You really, really, reslly don't need the filter - all it really does is interfere with the draw - left to its own devices the Falcon draws free and easy like a cob - trust the system and mop out the humidome qwith a tissue at the end of a smoke and you'll be fine! Said as one who smoked "moist" British tobaccos for most of his life!

Best as always

Gerry

9. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Gerry how long is appropriate to let it cool before disassembly and wipe out?

10. phinz

phinz Active Member

My estate Falcon has rapidly become one of my favorites since I bought it a few weeks ago. Easy to clean and since the bowl is small it's not a 1.5 hour smoke, which sometimes is just too long to be toking on a pipe.

11. user0003

Well You know me and convention, I don't let mine cool and if it f@$#'s up the bowl I'll just buy another.[​IMG]

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sniped (not really) a Falcon of Ebay last week and am also curious about 'turnaround' to smoke time again...I would like to use it as a work pipe...(10 minute smokes)...as a 'rule' anyways, and would really appreciate those in the know hooking me up with info on what to expect-(Are filters/pipe cleaners needed?) etc. Appreciate it gents,

-Kyle

13. cst

cst Member

I don't have Gerry's vast experience, but I have been smoking the one I got from ddandb since I got it from him for four to six bowls a day, every day. One right after the other usually. With no ill effects. These things are awesome. I'm even starting to like the looks.

For the Falcon standard, there is no filter. You can put a thing called a dry ring (cut up piece of pipe cleaner formed into a circle with some of the wire bared and left as a tag) in the sump, but it is not necessary. In fact on the older bowls that were not made with this in mind it really restricts the draw. I like a tight draw, but I was turning blue when I put one in. I thought it might be defective, so I exchanged it for another. Same thing. I thought my head was gonna implode. Instead, I will smoke the bowl and just wipe the sump (humidome) out after I am done or halfway through if whatever is in there is really wet.

Pipecleaners need to be skinny. The extra fluffy ones don't fit well and in my experience just bend up before I get them in a third of the way. I dont buy special ones from Falcon, just use the regular ones from the Tinderbox down the street. Think - same diameter as a bristley one.

Maintenance on these is slightly more involved than a regular wood pipe in that you have to wipe the bowl out, unscrew the bowl from the humidome and wipe that out and then run a skinny pipecleaner down it's throat. I actually like this as I can actually see I am getting my pipe clean and also when it is reassembled, I can ram some more tobacco in and fire it up again. You can load up your regular briar after a pipe cleaner and cool down sure, but you are not getting all the moisture out of the heel, unless you wait a day or two. With the Falcon this is not a factor.

So, for me, no real wait to smoke another bowl. I am sure that I could smoke a couple bowls back to back without emptying the sump, but I have the minute it takes to do it.

This is just from my limited experience, maybe Falconeer can chime in and correct me or offer better advice.

14. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I have thought about buying a new one, but have read some say the new bowls are more fills than wood. Any owners of new ones, how are they?

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry about delayed reply - been travelling back to Scotland today. Moo's about summed it up; Falcon actually advise letting the bowl cool right down to avoid damage to the wooden threads; being honest I always pass on this advice but don't do it myself - in fact my usual practice is to take the bowl off as soon as I've finished smoking it, blow through the stem and wipe out the humidome with a tissue then reassemble carefully. Cleaning's actually easier with the pipe hot.

Carefully is the watchword - the only time I've written off a bowl by cross threding it was on the wat home from the pub onn a Friday night after falling in with evil companions who forced me to drink with them!

Best to all,

Gerry

16. Marc

Marc Active Member

I have yet to purchase a new Falcon bowl without fills, they all have them, some worst than others. They do use a dark fill material which seems to blend in well as the bowl darkens from smoking.

17. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Yes the fill rate has gone up of late and the material used is dark, virtually black - hence the reason I say buy in person not by mail unless you are sure this won't bother you. These days I prefer rustic finished bowls for this very reason - but even they can have visible fills on the smoooth parts of the bowl,

best meantime

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.