Bite

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BluesGuy, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick

Patrick Member

Thankfully I’m relatively immune to tongue bite so far. The one time I was bit it was pretty bad though. I rubbed out some Blackwoods Flake fresh from a newly opened tin and filled a brand new briar with it. I was puffing like a locomotive to keep it lit. It really needed drying. I damn near scorched the prints off the fingers holding the bowl and came away with a sore tongue that lasted 3 days. The pipe appears unharmed, and both pipe and smoker emerged from the experience a little wiser. Lesson learned: Puff VA, especially flake, slowly.

2. Patrick

Patrick Member

5100 is great stuff. The owner of my locak B&M steered me toward 5100 when I asked for a VA. He knew I was a new pipe smoker, and I think he gave me great advice. I’ve smoked 5100 too quickly and didn’t get bit. It is a friendly tobacco. Very tasty too. I love the smell of the sidestream smoke.

3. Young Gun

Young Gun Member

So they do carry tinned? I've been to their other location but did not see any tins there.

I like a lot of their house blends, specifically the Sunset Rum and their Burley Lite right now. Always great people behind the counter too.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to make the drive out to that location some time.

4. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Ok guys.....I let this stuff air out for about 8 hrs and it did help a great deal with the bite...not to mention I did find out I can smoke even slower than I was....but not by much. Not sure though what the hulabalu is about on Virginian baccy...but will continue my trying it for a bit. Like I said I have some 5100 coming in will see if that tasted better.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

BluesGuy,

Virginia tobaccos, especially McClelland Virginia flakes have a natural sweetness to them with very subtle nuances of flavor from the high range natural Virginias to the low range of stoved Virginias. If you’re a new pipe smoker it will take time, practice and patience to develop a palate for Virginia tobaccos. You simply cannot rush a Virginia tobacco and hope to gain anything from the experience. You also do not want to dry Virginia tobaccs to much, they are better smoked moist, when over dried you loose alot of the essential oils and flavor of the leaf.

6. Demented

Demented Member

Been smoking a pipe for thirty one year’s come August, and have yet to smoke a straight Virginia tobacco that did not torch my tongue. I do tend to puff a little fast, so I smoke hot and wet, and my pipes get hot, yet Va/VaPer’s are the only smokes that cause tongue bite.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

D, have you ever tried McClelland #5100, it's a very smoker friendly ready rubbed Red Virginia?

8. Demented

Demented Member

No Marc, I haven't. Pretty much gave up on straight VA’s in the early 80’s, at that time I was only smoking mixtures the local tobacconist blended, didn’t start trying the premium tinned tobacco’s until after he died, about 3 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.