1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Bitten

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jgstudios, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Well after a few days of sampling different tobaccos, my tongue is raw. It seems to have started with the Mac Barens mixture. Then it was downhill after that. Perhaps I was a bit overly enthusiastic with the fast puffing; I don't know. I didn't feel any ill effects at the time, but this morning it was unmistakable and raw. Anyone got any tongue bite cure ideas? I'm going to have to lay off for a day or two...it's going to be weird not having a smoke after dinner tonight. So far my favorite seems to be the Mac Barens 7 Seas Royal blend although it wasn't too highly rated at the site listed below. I like it. Also at my local tobacconists, they have some bulk house blends I like. But I'm still searching the tins for interesting flavors. In the mean time. My tongue needs to heal up so I can get back to the obsession of smoke and briar.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse_all.cfm

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Walgreens....Biotene.....fix you right up.....go now don't wait.

voodoo101 likes this.
  3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

You might also try letting a bowl's worth of tobacco dry for about half an hour before smoking it. Dry toby means a cool smoke.

Ted Vig likes this.
  4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I second Jesla's recommendation of Biotene as quick relief from bite. I've heard it works great!

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You don't say! :D

Jesla's got you covered. Quick relief.

6. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I used to keep biotien gum in my pipe bag for those situations when I got a bit careless. Those that think pain is a great Behavioral modification device have never tired smoking a pipe!

Jesla likes this.
  7. Morse

Morse Active Member

+1. I sometimes get careless and Biotene is good stuff. You should still take a break until your tongue feels better but this will speed things up - at least in my experience.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I find a mixture of lemon juice and water swished around your mouth a few times a day will keep the tongue bite doctor away!

9. Gary

Gary Member

Never heard of Biotene. Where is found and in what form does it come (gum, ointment, liquid, etc). I've had bite from overpuffing...was smoking aros at the time, and I blame them. Haven't had issues in months now, but I haven't been smoking many aros during that time. Do aros tend to bite more than non? Curious.

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Walgreens etc....mouth wash.

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Sometimes ya just gotta take a rest, too. I was bitten for the first time in a long while just a few nights ago. Not talking about just fatigue or a little soreness- this was a real hard nip. The culprit? You MacGuessed it! :)

12. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

This seems to help alot.

13. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Biotene is good for prevention. Time is the only cure.

Tongue bite is a chemical burn from alkaline smoke. Biotene promotes saliva production, which washes the smoke residue away.

I say, let it heal completely before smoking any more.

Elwin likes this.
  14. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

Biotene works great for me. MacBarens bites me bad except for the Honey & Chocolate. I smoke a bowl or 3 of Plumcake and use a little Biotene afterwards and I'm good to go.

15. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

BITTEN? I bet it was snake! ;)

16. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I feel your pain. Right now as a matter of fact... :cfsd:

17. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Warm saltwater gargles, and slow down!!!:bing: =:drly:

18. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I know. I'm a cig smoker too and my technique has improved much but there's a ways to go...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.