Blakeney and His Best....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

I nabbed a tin of Blakeney's Best Bayou Slice dated 2006 from the b&m while looking for a new va/per to try. not really knowing anything about the blend or the Toasting process it reports to have.
    I opened the tin to small broken flakes in the classic Mclelland style, with gold and black leaf intermingled. It had an "escudo" type smell mixed with a hint of the Mclelland virginia smell and had little sparkly crystals when sunlight hit it. most likely due to its 6+ years of aging. Rubbed it out, loaded and set fire. WOW. Its been a while since i tried something new and said "Now thats excellent" on the first few puffs. It was so well behaved, approachable, and flavor full. again a very escudo like flavor, but a touch heavier on the perique. the spicey element was there in perfect balance. I knew from that moment I'd stumbled on something top notch. So, who is Blakeney? whats the Toasting? How are the other BB blends?

A four star (TR.com scale) blend right off the bat.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

All 4 of them are excellent. I was under the impression that McClellands couldn't produce and excellent latakia blend until I smoked their Latakia Flake. Best tinder dry. But the Bayou Slice is probably the best of the bunch. All are worth a try.

No idea who Blakeney is or what the toasting process entails.

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

I love the Tawny Flake. Dang good leaf. Not sure what the toasting is or does, but it doesn't hurt!!!

4. Albert

Albert Active Member

How does Bayou Slice compare to St. James Woods? I havent had a tin of SJW, which is what I went looking for (and the didnt have) when I found Bayou Slice.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

6. dmkerr

Smoother and less peppery, to my taste buds. Not as much of a flavor explosion as SJW... a bit more subtle. I also find more complexity in the Bayou Slice. They're definitely in the same category but subtly different.

7. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ok, so they're not really all that different... I guess I was imagining SJW to be like a spicy Blackwoods flake (i.e. dark virginia forward) as opposed to Bayou Slice, a lighter tangy virginia with the actual perique flavor taking stage. Hmm, well I do know that bowl after bowl after bowl of Bayou Slice just keeps getting better and better. In fact it really confirmed that im a freeking Mcclelland-virginia-aholic. :thu2:

jpberg likes this.
  8. dmkerr

Your imagination was pretty close! The BWF uses red VA's but the perique is very forward in the mix. You're right that the Bayou Slice is tangier and lighter. You should probably try them both - you might find more diffs than I did.

9. Albert

Albert Active Member

Thanks for the insight Dan:toast:

10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I've only tried the Acadian Ribbon but it is a tasty smoke. I have been meaning to try the other blends but some other toby always comes along and side tracks me. I will have to make it a priority.

Paul

11. Albert

Albert Active Member

Does McClelland 2015 come anywhere close to these?

12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

albot9, thanks for the info. Just ordered a tin to try along with a tin of Royal Cajun Dark. :puffy:

13. Albert

Albert Active Member

no problem! keep me abreast of your findings. :toast:

Lestrade likes this.
  14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Will do! :puffy:

15. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Hmm, after reading these posts, and looking at TR, I think I need to add Tawney Flake, and Bayou Slice to the TAD list. Thanks for the info, guys!

albot9 likes this.
  16. jpberg

No.

albot9 likes this.
  17. dmkerr

A source at McClellands informed me that 2015 is a non-aged version of St James Woods. After aging a bunch of the 2015, I'd have to agree.

18. jpberg

How long before it started getting close? I've got some with maybe three years on it, and I'm not getting it.
    Funnily enough, I bought it because I was told it was an unaged version SJW:msty:

19. dmkerr

Uh... 3 years? :D

My 2015 is from early 2008 and by the middle of last year I'm pretty sure I could not tell the difference blind between it and SJW. Then again, maybe you could.

20. jpberg

Oh, you and your refined palate.:)

FlatbushPaul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.