1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Blemish/damage on a new pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tony Malerich, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

A heads up for the mods, I have a price related question, but am not looking specifically to value a pipe. I think this will be ok to post, but if not I entirely understand. Moving on to the question...

A B&M near me has a really nice, very hefty high-grade Rhodesian that I have my eye on. The bowl is easily 2.5" across and at least that tall, maybe 3". The question is, the edge of the ring has a pretty decent divot taken out of it -- I'd say a "V" about 1/8" across and deep. I'm thinking about asking them to bump the price back a wee, something in the 5-10% range. Does that seem reasonable? More or less?

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I would ask for 15% off. And settle for ten if you are ok with the imperfection.

bubbagump and Tony Malerich like this.
  3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

For me, I'm all about a deal. It's good to be fair, too, of course. In this case it sounds like there is a justifiable reason for asking for a break. What's the worst that can happen? (Answer: They tell you no.)

dwaugh and Tony Malerich like this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Ask yourself if you'd pay full price for a new car with that issue. Of course you wouldn't. I'm very particular. If its that noticeable I'd require a deep discount for purchase. Or have them order another pipe if you're set on it.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

x 2. If they're smart, they'll take you up on that. Obviously you're drawn to the pipe. Many people would see the imperfection and pass.

rondel65 and Tony Malerich like this.
  6. bosun

bosun Active Member

"I like the pipe but what is this"?
    "Oh, we didn't notice that".
    "I'm interested but I don't want to pay that much for a damaged pipe."
    "Well how does $XXX.XX sound"?
    "OK, I''ll take it".
    OR
    "That's part of the carvers design of the pipe and we think the price is very fair".
    "Well, never mind"
    And walk away.
    Of course if you come crawling back and buy it anyway you'll be eternally embarrassed every time you look at the pipe (G)..

Tony Malerich, MikeInMaine and dwaugh like this.
  7. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Yea, it never hurts to ask (well in most cases), they might be very happy to unload it.

8. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I would ask for half off and not accept less than 25%. Are you sure you want it? It will be a problem smoker because of the width of the bowl.

9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I'm not quite following you on that. The briar constituting the entirety of the bowl is huge, but the chamber is on the large side of perfectly normal -- about an inch across and up two deep (don't recall that exactly).

10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Sounds to me like you have already determined you like the pipe and feel it would suit your needs. The question at hand seems to be about the price.

Once again, I'll say negotiate. In fact, I'd be inclined to negotiate even if it were perfect. There's a price that is agreeable to you both there somewhere -- you just have to find it.

People have no trouble (at least most people) doing some negotiating for a new car. You wouldn't wait to find one in the showroom that had a ding in the fender before asking for a break off the "sticker" price. Same thing here. They have a product they would like to sell and you have the funds to buy -- you just have to agree on a price. A fair price. (At 50-percent off you're getting down to cost for most retailers. Although that could be a place to start it doesn't seem like that would be a fair and reasonable place to end.)

11. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Tony: Then there shouldn't be a problem.

12. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I tend to agree with those here that say-"negotiate".
    I am the type of guy who full well understands that briar being a natural product as with other pipe materials that its VERY hard to fins absolute perfection in such materials. If and when one does--well thats a premium priced piece/pipe. NOW--HOWEVER--when I see a pipe that has a "Ding" in it--perhaps it was mishandled, dropped r what ever that has put a nasty mark in it. Thats a pipe that simply has a reduced value as it has a clearly damaged spot that is not a part of the natural pipe such as maybe a sand pit etc.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a mature adult dialog in discussing with the proprieter about the price due to a "ding" in the pipe.
    Now if the pipe itself had this "V" taken out as part of the original carver perhaps removing a blemish in the briar--well it is one of those things you must ask yourself.
    #1--Is this something that just bothers me to the point it totally takes away from the pipe in your mind? Can I overcome this blemish mentally if I buy it?
    #2--Is this particular pipe worth $xxx.xx to me as it is?
    #3--Just how bad do I really want it?
    IS that "V" one of those things that if you buy it--every time you look at the pipe, smoke it or grab it--you just can't get that little "V" out of your head--it just does something that menatlly takes something away from the pipe in your mind.
    These ideas and questions may sound absolutely absurd--silly and perhaps irrevelant to many people. However to some folks little things like this totally take away from the pipe. For some folks its a stupid thing that isn't so stupid at all and simply ruins the over all experience with the pipe because they just cannot get that blemish or little defect out of their mind.
    OK---I'm speaking about myself. If I had ANY doubt at all---the pipe gets left lay for another buyer who isn't bothered buy such things. As for me--things like that bother me if I am paying a premium price for an artisan pipe.
    GOOD LUCK--Either way wrestle with yourself over the pipe and once you decide--DO NOT LOOK BACK. If you leave the pipe lay--thats ok. Its also ok if you buy it--BUT then forget that "V".

13. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

DOOOOOOEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!

What's the worst that could happen?

Pics... or it never happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.