Blend. What Is It Really?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I live in a town with only one tobacco shop worth going to unless I want to drive to Birmingham, AL to The Briary (REPRESENT!!!) which I don't often do.

My local B&M sells well-priced baggies of tobacco but gives it names I have never heard before. How do you REALLY know if it is THEIR blend or they just take bulk McClelland and slap a sticker on it with a made up name?

2. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

You don't. It's probably someone's bulk tobacco, unless it's a big shop and you can meet the blender.

dwaugh likes this.
  3. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

Yep, what he said. Most likely they're Lane tobaccos that have been renamed. If you ask them, they might even tell ya!

Coda likes this.
  4. Moose

Moose Active Member

The only way you can tell is to follow the pixey dust to where the elves are busy configuring the blend. It's all done with smoke and mirrors.
    Oh, do not look at the man behind the curtain.

Really, as said previously, unless it's a large shop, it is probably premixed by another company and repackaged. Like WWhermit said, just ask the proprietor.

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Just ask. The guys by me are happy to tell you what it is.

dwaugh and dBear like this.
  6. ArmedOctopus

Sneaky guys they are then....making me think its their private stuff. I suppose some of it is though.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You ask...:doh:

derrickyoung likes this.
  8. boiseTim

boiseTim Member

IF its good to smoke,I find it doesnt matter who did it,unless I want to order some from somewhere else in bulk.
    If it is McClelland its very good stuff I just discovered.I am now waiting on a tin of there 2012 christmas cheer after
    Spillproof gave me some info.

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Simple economics, really. Few of the B&M's left in existence can afford to actually create their own blends, so they look to major blending houses like Lane, McClelland, Stokkebye, Altaidis, or Mac Baren. Some, like Finks in San Antonio, have their own recipes that they have Stokkebye blend for them. Others order direct from the major blenders and slap their own "house blend" monikers on them, while others still just order from the major blending houses and use the blending house names for the blends. (In this case, they make no claims that it is a "house blend," and they sell it just like they do their tinned tobaccos, but just in loose form).

I'd love to live in an area where I can just find a B&M like "back in the day." It'd be really great if I could find one that still actually blends their own, but I'd be happy with any "house blend" or bulk/loose blend. Texas has a huge tax on tobacco, but if I had an actual B&M nearby that sold "house blends," I'd probably do business exclusively with them because I like to do all I can to support local B&M's. To me, the question of whether it is actually theirs or someone else's takes a back seat to being able to walk into a B&M, smell all the wonderful tobaccos, and find that one special "house blend" that I make my blend.

boiseTim likes this.
  10. ArmedOctopus

I gotcha. I just have a hard time if my B&M pretends they have a house blend to keep me buying it there when I could snag some for much cheaper online.

Mark Dawson likes this.
  11. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I have one blend I am considering, but its $60/lb, I keep worrying it is a repackaged something else, with a inflated price tag

boiseTim likes this.
  12. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

+1 on just ask.

I've done this in several shops and everyone has been candid and polite about it. In fact, it's usually a good ice-breaker into a broader discussion about pipe tobacco. Most of their bulks are re-named brands, and a few will mix together their own blends from two or more "name" bulk blends. But nobody I've talked to claims to be pressing and cutting their own flakes, applying their own casing, or anything as fundamental as that. The most "originality" you see might be where an established B&M will get an exclusive blend from one of the bigger manufacturers.

And, if you ask and they get all huffy about it, then enjoy the satisfaction of getting what you want more cheaply online.

13. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

A couple of months ago I noticed that an acquaintance smokes a pipe. I asked him what his favorite blend was, and he tells me that it's a special blend, an aromatic, he gets from a store about 200 miles away.

He let me have a whiff out of the pouch. I'd bet a dollar to a dime it's 1-Q. I didn't have the heart to tell him. :shead:

Mark Dawson likes this.
  14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Unless they're blending it themselves, it's a 75-100% markup from their supplier.

15. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Its one of Ted's blends in Oklahoma, they say they blend in house, but I have never been there, and at that price, I worry about getting screwed a little

16. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I was at a festival a couple of years back smoking a cigar and ran into the proprietor of the only B&M smokeshop in my town. I have never been a good tobacco customer of his because of their prices, but have spent thousands (quite literally) over the years on magazines in that they have probably the largest selection north of Milwaukee. I have seen him measuring and blending tobaccos in the past and I asked him where he got his tobaccos from. He said that the "recipes" are decades old and have been handed down, but the tobacco used is from Arrango. About all I know of them is they are usually the name on the matches given to me, but I have never seen their tobacco available online such as Altadis, Lane, et.al.

17. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

IDK, can't be any worse than buying a pound of Penzance and knowing full well it's either gonna have to sit for a long time or its already crumbled up and too dry. If you like the bit you have smoked that,s all that matters, you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.