Blending Houses and their Product Consistency

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I just won two tins of tobacco from P&C in their "blind review" promotion going on in their blog, and I did it solely with a description of a topping, and a picture of the tobacco. Interestingly enough, it was the way the flake was cut that gave it away as a C&D product. I'm curious what other brands can you guys identify by appearance and consistency alone?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Russ Ouellete from Hearth and Home seems to like the "fish food" cut. His stuff is hard to mistake.

C&D, as you said.

Lane Ltd blends have a certain "feel" to them - even their aros and non aros have a kind of greasy feel on the fingers.

3. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Come to think of it, I get what you're talking about with Russ's blends. The first week I was completely lost in the contest, but I've never smoked anything by Solani that was loose. It had the visual consistency of mulch, which intrigued me and almost made me think of a C&D bulk. I know what you're talking about with Lane. I liken it to rehydrated RYO tobacco in the feel of it.

4. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Samuel Gawith flakes. Ragged, inconsistent thickness, very moist, nigh-on impossible to fully rub out.

JescoWhite and SouthBound like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.